Am I a bad "meowmy"?

• Thread starter midnightphoenix
  • Start date
G

Girl interupted

No. I think they are lucky to have you.

G

gam9147

what is the alternative? they are out on the street without you having to live the 'tough life'? They are so much better off having a loving caring home! You are doing a great job!

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Both came from rescues so had i not taken them they would of stayed in rescue until someone else took them, Willow would likely still be in rescue now months later cause nobody wanted to adopt her before i took her :cry:

Willow's got a heart murmur the vet found it today :cry:

G

gam9147

exactly, you never know how long or if they would have been adopted. I assume its a no kill shelter since its a rescue, but not all of them are.

They are very lucky to have you!

I'm so sorry to hear about heart murmur :( is there medicine to help with that?

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

exactly, you never know how long or if they would have been adopted. I assume its a no kill shelter since its a rescue, but not all of them are.

They are very lucky to have you!

I'm so sorry to hear about heart murmur :( is there medicine to help with that?
Yeah Brysons is a no kill rescue, there is only two reasons they will euthanase a cat or a dog:

1) serious behavioural problems that put the safety of humans at risk (one dog they had to euthanase for this reason since i heard about them and they have loads of dogs go through them, the dog was badly traumatised by humans and he was in kennels for years then one day he got back from walkies and the story goes is something in him snapped and he attacked a volunteer)

and 2) medical reasons like if the animal would not recover (they've had to take a few animals on one way trip to the vet for this reason)

tbh both those reasons are acceptable reasons to euthanase imo

The heart murmur, the vet said just to monitor it for now cause its grade 2 and grade 1 is the lowest and to take her back in for tests in a few weeks if she starts to have troubles with excercise like running around playing with Tigger

Shingle

Shingle

My sister had a murmur as a child and it corrected itself. She never had any symptoms that she noticed herself, just the gp told mum she had one.

I think the same all of the time about my cat and past cats i have had. I then see a neighbour shoving her cat outside with her foot because she doesn't want it in the house at night to wake her up early. It cries outside the door early in the morning and jumps up at the handle, scratching the door. It's not RSPCA bad, but it is not love. She does not love her cat and never once i am sure thinks she is a bad meowmy.

Mine is wrapped up in cotton wool which for a child, would be bad some might say, but my cat she is happy and healthy. Her life might have been incredible if she was with someone else but on the other hand she could be like that cat being shoved outside that i can imagine rarely gets cuddles and good food.

Shingle

Shingle

Love is everything. It is more important than a huge garden. I would love mine to have a huge garden but it kills me to think she would not be loved.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Both came from rescues so had i not taken them they would of stayed in rescue until someone else took them, Willow would likely still be in rescue now months later cause nobody wanted to adopt her before i took her :cry:

Willow's got a heart murmur the vet found it today :cry:
Hi,
So sorry about Willow, hope she will be okay.
She has the best home ever.
Take care

Shingle

Shingle

In humans, it is either just there and not a problem, or can be more serious and need treatment. The majority don't even know they have it. It is an echo as far as i know, and not serious. I may be wrong. What did the vet say?

Shingle

Shingle

It is something that often comes and goes in cats and can come on when a cat is stressed. Is your cat stressed? It seems to me from what i know and have read about this that you should focus on keeping your cat relaxed and happy as much as you can.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

In humans, it is either just there and not a problem, or can be more serious and need treatment. The majority don't even know they have it. It is an echo as far as i know, and not serious. I may be wrong. What did the vet say?
The vet said "has anyone told you she has a heart murmur" and said its grade 2, grade 1 is the lowest grade. According to the vet a lot of cats have heart murmurs. She's going in later in the month for tests to find out the cause.

It is something that often comes and goes in cats and can come on when a cat is stressed. Is your cat stressed? It seems to me from what i know and have read about this that you should focus on keeping your cat relaxed and happy as much as you can.
Yeah Willow does get stressed, next door's cat keeps coming into the garden and the yard and me and Willow chase her away. Even before this, Willow was not rehomable cause nobody else wanted her. I am her last chance at living in a home.

Shingle

Shingle

I don't know what grade 1 and 2 means but i think that most murmurs are genetic. Sometimes they are due to an infection or old age. Your cat might get out of breath quicker than other cats and feel a bit dizzy if they do too much exercise.

I don't know how to keep other cats out of your garden. Maybe you could get your cats poo and place it in different areas of the garden so that it smells so much of them, another cat would not stay for long.

Water rifle :LOL: is very naughty and you should never do that to a cat :whistle: even to protect your own :evil:

I have seen cat tunnels going from a cat flap, around the garden and into a cat tent. It was all mesh so the cats had the breeze and grass but could not get out and no other could get in. It looked amazing.

Shingle

Shingle

I am more focused now and sorry for writing all sorts. Your appointment is soon so that is good. Are you insured? I am, but also in the pet club so that seems to cover lots of tests which i didn't expect. They haven't been charging me for minor tests. I hope it goes well, i am sure it will. You are lucky to have a garden/yard.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I am more focused now and sorry for writing all sorts. Your appointment is soon so that is good. Are you insured? I am, but also in the pet club so that seems to cover lots of tests which i didn't expect. They haven't been charging me for minor tests. I hope it goes well, i am sure it will. You are lucky to have a garden/yard.
yep i'm insured, i need to print the insurance stuff off though but dont have a printer, if i write down the policy number and take it with me and fill the insurance form in, would the vets accept that do you think?

when i say i'm insured i mean Willow and Tigger are insured

Shingle

Shingle

You can email or call the insurance company and they will post you a copy. I did that about three months ago with petplan and they posted it to me. if your vet sends the insurance claims electronically, i just wrote the number on the top and they did not need anything else so yes you can just take the number in.

It is easy to get through to them on the phone and if you email them, they reply the next day and the day after you will probably get your insurance documents through. They can also post you claim forms and advance authorisation claim forms.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

They thought one of my cats had a grade 1 heart murmur a few years ago, but it hasn't recurred. One of my sisters cats has one, and he's been fine for a number of years. Worth getting it checked out, though.

This is quite a good forum for cat queries:
Health and Behaviour Queries, Help and Advice - Cat Chat Feline Forum

Hope it is permitted to link to other sites here...

I was a member of a cat forum but after Ebony passed away I left, partly cause the forum got extremely quiet and partly cause it held too many memories for me, I was on the cat forum i mentioned from 2007 to 2012 then only popped in every now and again from about 2015 to last year. I'll have a look at that forum though, if I can be sure of their moderators (I'm nervous of moderators and admins after bad experiences on certain forums that shall remain nameless)

i'm still learning that the forum staffs here are not going to get the punishments out for random stuff, like one place the mods there decided out come the punishments for the "crime" of spelling a mod's name wrong, having mental illness episodes while logged in, random crap they made up, etc

so yeah i'm suspicious of moderators intentions nowadays so idk whether i'll join there just in case they decide to punish for nothing