• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

alternatives

C

charlie17

has anyone tried homeopathy for anxiety, depression and sleep if you have your advice would be truly appreaciated. im on nothing at the moment but sleeping tabs zopiclone that make me feel crappy all day long and my aniexty sky high i long to get an alternative to these awfull drugs. Please help??

x:unsure:

A

Apotheosis

There are lots of alternative methods. I have tried homoeopathy. I have found Reiki best help, but also had - Hopi ear candles, Indian head massage, Bowen, Shiatsu massage, Acupuncture, Auricular therapy, & others.

I have found that developing my own spirituality; & reading up a lot of the subject; learning Reiki myself, using crystals, meditating, & following as best I can a spiritual method of recovery; has been a good help.

There are plenty of alternative practitioners & healers around about. No harm in trying these things. Nothing ventured as they say.

A

Apotheosis

I'd add that there are usually no quick fixes with alternatives. I have personally found that things have had a cumulative effect. The more I have tried certain things, the more benefit I have got. I have worked with Reiki/alternative/Spiritual healers. They have varied in methods & effectiveness. Some people are far more competent than others. I am now trained as one myself, & I have got to know quite a few others in the surrounding area.

It is complementary medicine - so I would always suggest that orthodox advice is taken if needed as well. But it is a good idea to try these things without expectations & with an open mind. If you get nothing from it; then you haven't lost anything.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I have tried Bowen therapy, herbalism, spiritual healing, flower remedies, reflexology, nutritional therapy, art therapy, kinesiology, music/singing therapy, hug therapy (yes!), aromatherapy, crystals and meditation. I practice a very short relaxation technique for anxiety which I found in a book - I find it very effective (when I remember it). Some of these 'alternatives' I have self-administered, some have been freely available and others I have paid for.

I have found (so far) that the things that I self-administered or were free have been the most effective so far.....but, I am willing to try things that need to be paid for too - because in all likelihood a combination of things will be the most supportive in the long run....and I won't know what those things are unless I try all that make sense to me.

I'm pleased I wrote this because it has helped to remind me of things that have helped me in the past but that I have not used lately. (y)

W

Wonky

I had some time with a homeopath - I don't think the remedies made any difference, but her attitude was a breath of fresh air compared with MH services. I was lucky enough to see her as part of a local project, which had a number of complementary practioners - you were only asked to give a donation if you could afford it.

I also saw the aromatherapist. This led me to Lavender essential oil, which I use, a few drops on a tissue inside the pillow case. And also to making a simple massage oil for self massage to help to calm down a little - massage the palms or wrists or the forehead. Unfortunately, for the massage oil, the scent I liked best was one of the most expensive essential oils - Turkish Rose, £60 per 5ml! I am currently using Rose Geranium, much cheaper. I think the important thing with using essential oils is to choose one you like the smell of.