Alternatives

H

hd1983

I’m fairly new to the self harming world, I’ve tried to commit suicide on multiple occasions but only self harmed a few times. Today, I self harmed twice.

Have any experienced self harmers found something that provides a similar release? I’d like to do something else for the same release as I know before long it will be noticed and that will be difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

When I was trying to stop self harming, I would pop a rubber band on my wrist. I recommend finding distractions when you are feeling the urge to self harm. Use your hands to do something productive instead of hurting yourself. For example, I play instruments so when I feel the urge to self harm I play an instrument until the urge dies down. If you don't play an instrument, you could try drawing or crafting or just doing something with your hands so that you aren't hurting yourself. It might not provide the same release, but it is a whole lot healthier than harming yourself.

H

hd1983

I tried the rubber band thing before I resorted to self harming. I always need to have something in my hands at all times, but the rubber band doesn’t work for me. I’ve bought an adult colouring book which works in day to day circumstances, but when I get stressed and my PTSD comes into play, I don’t seem to have a technique that can override the heavy symptoms and stop me from carrying out negative actions.

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

I understand needing to have something in your hands all the time. I am the same way. I do hope you find something that works for you so you don't resort to self harm. :hug1:

S

S.Anthony

I am sorry you are struggling. Maybe you need to speak to a counselor.

For myself, I find when I am most vulnerable in life, a walk or physical activity or my hobbies help me. Exercise in itself gives endorphines that help with our stress levels. It is a good distraction and helps with clarity.
During this time I listen to worship music others may listen to upbeat positive music.
I pray but others may do deep breathing and I ask the Lord for peace and hope. Hope and expectation for our lives can keep our focus on the what is next and be so life giving. I paint and journal as well as try photography to keep me moving forward as it is so easy for me to get lost in the mess.

The struggle is real and there are deep hurts when someone self harms. I Pray you can find some life changing relief that sticks with you. I pray that you find the urge lessons and your joy comes in full speed.

Best wishes~

Last edited by a moderator: