• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Alternatives to Antipsychotics

H

healthybrain

Hello everyone. Im on Lamictal and Latuda (which Im getting off of). Im looking for ideas for medications to replace this antipsychotic or some type of therapy. I'm in therapy now doing bits and pieces of DBT but was looking for option geared at Bipolar disorder.

K

keith74

My wife is currently on Epival/Depakote (mood stabilizer) and Olanzapine (anti-psychotic). She has typically just taken Epival to help prevent manic episodes (with sporadic low doses of Seroquel for anxiety), though for her recent manic episode the hospital started her on Olanzapine to treat her acute mania. Her goal is to eventually go off the Olanzapine and stick with just the Epival when she is fully at baseline. Mono-therapy with just a mood stabilizer can be effective depending on the individual. Maybe it will work for you? However, my wife does not typically have psychotic episodes when manic - her recent one was maybe the second ever. If psychosis is more common for you, then perhaps you need to stick with an anti-psychotic also.

Glad to hear you are doing therapy. My wife has also started DBT and has found it helpful. She has done CBT and minfulness in the past but finds DBT to cover more bases.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

For as far as I know the only non-antipsychotic that can prevent psychosis (when it's related to mania) is lithium.

H

healthybrain

Thanks guys, yea I was on Olanzapine and it made me groggy. Antipsychotics seem to have all the same effect. I dont really have bad periods of mania and I won't take lithium because Im often dehydrated (runner). Lithium would really be the way to go but I cant. Monotherapy of Lamictal 200mg might be the only thing I got.

Its good to see the CBT and DBT worked for others.

A

arty88

Hi,

I had the same complaints with anti-psychotic drugs. I was very persistent with my consultant to state that I would not take them anymore if they made me too sedate and tired all the time (groggy as you put it).

I trialled Aripiprazole (brand: Abilify) and haven't really stopped taking it for the most part of 10 years now, varying from low to reasonable / standard dose.

It is the 'least' sedating as far as i am aware of the available options. Perhaps a word with your doctor about such medicines?

H

healthybrain

Thanks but this is the last antipshychotic
i'll be on ever. Shit is poison..