• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alternative?

M

mjb49

Hi everybody, i'm new here.
I joined another forum, so do not really want to explain all the symptons that i have, just to say that my doctor has prescribed me drugs for panic attacks.
My doctor( and this is a personal view) is absolutely crap. All he ever seems to want to do is throw drugs at you and get you out of the door. I asked him about an alternative treatment, preferbly naturally and he looked at me like i was some sort of alien. Anyway, it is the same question, does anyone know of any natural treatments for panic disorders?, as i am living on painkillers for a back problem and really do not want to take any more drugs.
Hoping someone can help.

D

Dollit

By "natural treatments" what do you mean. Is this herbal remedies or alternative therapies? Perhaps if you told us a little more it may help.

M

mjb49

re alternative treatment

Thanks for replying. To be honest, i'm willing to look at any form of alternative treatment, wether it's herbal remedies, acupuncture etc. I know these panic attacks are not going to go away on their own, but i really do not want to go down the drug route, so if anyone has tried another way i would be interested, whatever it is, hope that helps.

D

Dollit

A lot of doctors won't talk about alternative or natural treatments - we are living in an age of litigation and many doctors won't recommend anything that's not scientifically proven.

Personally I've been meditating all my adult life but 3 or 4 years ago my consultant recommended mindfulness (which he practises himself) and which I've found really helpful. It's a simple, guided meditation and once you get the hang of it you can do it without the guidance and whenever you need it. Try this link for further information. www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness

I've never tried Reiki as Apo suggests but he's a qualified practitioner and wouldn't recommend something he didn't believe in.

Last edited:
M

mjb49

re alternative

Hi,
Thank you both very much for replying, i shall certainly look into both of these treatments, who knows? It might just be what i need, but if not, hey it's the hope isn't it. thanks again.