Alternative/complimentary therapies on NHS

J

Jamie29

Hello all,
I'm wondering if anybody has been referred by their GP or CPN etc for alternative therapies (acupuncture, aromatherapy, arts therapy, reiki, etc)? I want to explore therapies other than treatment with drugs and talking therapy. Will the NHS pay for these?

Thanks in advance
Jamie

pepecat

pepecat

Someone I knew had art therapy on the NHS. This was a while back though, before funding cuts, so things might have changed since then. I don't think things like reiki or acupuncture are available on the NHS for MH issues, but I might be wrong. Maybe it depends on what area you're living in and the services available there.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It really does depend on what your local practise has to offer, like Pepecat said.
Generally though, you don't get alternative therapies on the NHS - particularly if it's something more unconventional like reiki.
I would say though that some practitioners in these sorts of things offer concessionary rates and i've found alternative therapies really helpful, so it's worth exploring.

G

Gredge23

I have not been referred but my uncle is a reiki master , done a few sessions with him when I was really really unwell , I was skeptical but the fact u actaully feel drained after it lets me know it's working somehow , he said my crown and emotional chakras were practically stopped , but he got hem moving again. I did feel a difference a few months down the line but at the time I got a med change aswell so I don't know.

J

Jamie29

I definitely will. I asked my CPN today and she pointed me to a local mental health charity called Imagine which put on some of these sorts of therapies from time to time but it's not heavily publicised. So I gave them a call and somebody is calling me back tomorrow to register, etc.