• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Alphabets and letters related obsession: PL any having it suggest if it's true and what's the feeling like

T

Thecuriouscuckoo

Hi I HV not got myself checked up by any qualified psychologist but some things suggest that I HV symptoms of ocd:
1. Excessively washing clothes worn for worshipping- with detergent powder- to get an assurance that the clothes are pure enough to be worn during prayers
2. Washing hands repeatedly thinking that there maybe some germs left ... Rubbing nails with toothpaste at the time of washing hands after toilet routine thinking that it's strong smell will wipe off the smell
3. Doing things for a certain number of times like rubbing hands for 5 times at the time of washing
4. Postponing random or even important like checking my email after waiting for at least 5 minutes or trimming my nails after 15 minutes (from the time I intended to do the task)
5. Taking entire word first 3 , 5 or last few letters of a word as the ideal decision to go ahead with what I intended to do...for instance, I wanted to buy a computer and noticed that the brand name is Alienware that I interpret as Alien=weird which means it should be avoided and another named LG I interpret as Life"s Good = positive ... That's right for me and end up buying the latter even logically knowing that the former was superior and/or more economical...
Very strange interpretation: avoid buying a computer named "Post" because the first three words are POS that sound as Pause means stop or wait....I either end up avoiding to buy that brand or postponing my buying decision for some time (pause)
6. Thinking that I should avoid what I like the most (food, hobby, profession)

PL suggest if anyone has 5 and 6 types and what it feels like..how to cope up with it

Thanks a lot (in advance) for the same.....
PL Excuse my language limitations

M

morty2

Former member
Interesting my OCD can revolve around good and bad numbers,words. Days of the week. Objects that are BUY,,DONT BUY. Connections from things like food with certain peoples names i dont like. Certain shops have numbers i dont like. Clothing. Computer thing like you say,,connected to the Alien,,. Im like that with things. Its close to what im like. My Ocd gets complex and can change,i add obssessions all the time,then i overcome some. Its exhausting. Im drinking a cup of tea that is number 15,,i can only have one more today,then things are ok.

T

Thecuriouscuckoo

Hi I HV not got myself checked up by any qualified psychologist but some things suggest that I HV symptoms of ocd:
1. Excessively washing clothes worn for worshipping- with detergent powder- to get an assurance that the clothes are pure enough to be worn during prayers
2. Washing hands repeatedly thinking that there maybe some germs left ... Rubbing nails with toothpaste at the time of washing hands after toilet routine thinking that it's strong smell will wipe off the smell
3. Doing things for a certain number of times like rubbing hands for 5 times at the time of washing
4. Postponing random or even important like checking my email after waiting for at least 5 minutes or trimming my nails after 15 minutes (from the time I intended to do the task)
5. Taking entire word first 3 , 5 or last few letters of a word as the ideal decision to go ahead with what I intended to do...for instance, I wanted to buy a computer and noticed that the brand name is Alienware that I interpret as Alien=weird which means it should be avoided and another named LG I interpret as Life"s Good = positive ... That's right for me and end up buying the latter even logically knowing that the former was superior and/or more economical...
Very strange interpretation: avoid buying a computer named "Post" because the first three words are POS that sound as Pause means stop or wait....I either end up avoiding to buy that brand or postponing my buying decision for some time (pause)
6. Thinking that I should avoid what I like the most (food, hobby, profession)

PL suggest if anyone has 5 and 6 types and what it feels like..how to cope up with it

Thanks a lot (in advance) for the same.....
PL Excuse my language limitations
Interesting my OCD can revolve around good and bad numbers,words. Days of the week. Objects that are BUY,,DONT BUY. Connections from things like food with certain peoples names i dont like. Certain shops have numbers i dont like. Clothing. Computer thing like you say,,connected to the Alien,,. Im like that with things. Its close to what im like. My Ocd gets complex and can change,i add obssessions all the time,then i overcome some. Its exhausting. Im drinking a cup of tea that is number 15,,i can only have one more today,then things are ok.
Thanks for your valuable response.... Could you please suggest how do you overcome some of them?
Plus... What about weird coincidences like suddenly spotting a word that came to your mind or the one you spoke... in a random book lying on the table? Does it happen with you or sm1 you know?