Alpha stim machine

C

Cherry88

Had a brief episode of psychosis, suffering with feeling emotionally flat and depression like symptoms. Has anyone tried the alpha stim machine and is it worth giving it a go if I have suffered a brief break from reality

burt tomato

burt tomato

not totally sure what it is. It probably has pro's and con's - if the pro's are good enough then its worth a shot!

C

Cherry88

Have a google seems like an interesting bit of kit

Has many positive reviews, no mention of peeps with psychosis episodes.

On a side note, I am doing well but finding it difficult when talking with people, tripping over my words, focusing and absorbing what they are saying. Im focusing inward and worried about myself which means I am struggling at work etc. Is this a symptom of psychosis or depression etc. Dont know if that makes sense

burt tomato

burt tomato

Looks nice, but I am not convinced yet. Similar to a Tens machine I guess but for the head. I don't know how much it costs, but probably not willing to buy one at the minute.

Could you be going through a stressy period? It can make psychosis worse.

C

Cherry88

Its a similiar concept the main difference it relieves psychological symptoms, i will give it a try. Its expensive but some clinics near by to try it out first.

Not a stressy period, this is all new to me i was going through a massive amount of stress ended up with my first episode and was hospitalized. I have been out 2 months not currently on meds, but things have changed since then a little.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Will be interested to see how you fare with it. Report back with your findings.

Surprised your not on meds. Is that your choosing?

C

Cherry88

Will keep you posted. I would say I was more or less content and happy before my episode, which imo was triggered by a stressful event. Im now dealing with the trauma of being in hospital and getting to that stage in the first place considering the focus was placed on medicating me rather than discussing events leading up to the episode.

Yes it is of my choosing and tbf I am doing okay, just going through bouts of being emotionally flat, lack of interest and motivation, going through something like that has changed my fluffy reality of life. But I am taking it slow and understand it will take a while to fully recover.

I am in contact with the MH team and have been referred to CBT-p to make sure I am staying well.

burt tomato

burt tomato

If you can manage without meds then all power to you. You do appear to be quite clued up on what is going on.

What you are feeling is negative symptoms. In psychosis, you have positive and negative symptoms. Positive are hallucinations, delusions, paranoia etc. Negative symptoms are apathy, depression, flat feeling etc.

C

Cherry88

Thank you, its been 9 weeks so far and long may it continue.

It seems they are negative symptoms. From being a big talker and having an opinion on everything to what I feel now is taking some getting over and makes it more obvious to colleague and friends who dont know whats happened that somethings changed.

Its not easy, esp as I assumed my life would spring back to "normal" as soon as I felt better.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Thank you, its been 9 weeks so far and long may it continue.

It seems they are negative symptoms. From being a big talker and having an opinion on everything to what I feel now is taking some getting over and makes it more obvious to colleague and friends who dont know whats happened that somethings changed.

Its not easy, esp as I assumed my life would spring back to "normal" as soon as I felt better.
It could be a one off episode. You have identified the trigger, it is about managing your condition to avoid such things in the future whereever possible.

yes it is not easy. Take it slow. There is no shame in asking for help or even meds if you need too.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

For money sake, I sure hope the electrode pads of the sim machine are re-usable.

Kerome

Kerome

It can easily take a year or more for post-psychosis symptoms to vanish. Congrats to managing off meds, I tried that but had a relapse after about six months.

C

Cherry88

I thought I would do a quick update. The alpha stim worked out quite well for me, helped me managed alot of the anxiety symptoms I was experiencing at the time.

Been a full year since I have been out of hospital feels like a long time ago med free. I would say my psychosis experience has really taught me alot about myself and has allowed me to refocus my life on positives rather than negatives.

I still use the machine once or twice a week for managing any anxiety symptoms I might experience, and it really does work. I would say I am the happiest I have ever been and improving every day. Obviously this is one part of my approach to staying well, but it was well worth the money.

L

linus

Hi,
Can you tell me what exact model have you used and what kind of mode/duration? And also can you detail a bit what was your brief psychotic episode?

C

Cherry88

Hey, I purchased the alpha stim aid, cant remember the exact price. I got it with a VAT discount may have been around the 500 mark.

In short, I had a very traumatic event and due to that I became very depressed for a short period wasnt eating sleeping or drinking much for a few weeks. Prior to the episode I had very little sleep probably about 5 hours over a week or a so. That week was when I spiralled to another reality, my trust in people had gone completely, had delusions people were out to get me or kill me, religious delusions, I had died in my head and thought I was in between worlds where I was being judged as to whether I was worthy to go back or not. It was within days I was hospitalised, which was traumatic enough in it self. The only positive is once I came out, I had a chance to really understand why I felt this way and unpick these thoughts with the help of my family friends and psychologist, i put everything back in order and in my own way was able to make sense of some of these feelings.

Its hard to describe every little detail, but I was told from the outset I would not work again for a while and to focus on accepting this condition, even though I felt the exact opposite. I was back to myself within a few weeks, contrary to what I had been told without meds, however I was left with dealing with the episode and my treatment in hospital so had alot of fear, anxiety and was scared to accept I might be well again.

This is where the alpha stim comes in, I started reading about ECT as I was surprised whilst in hospital it is still method used to treat patients. I stumbled across the stim and thought I would give it a try, initially I used it for 60 minutes a day for a few weeks, then down to 20 mins per day for another few weeks. Now I use it whenever I feel i need it.

Sorry I was not able to include my whole journey on here, it is hard to describe everything in words. I have been lucky with my support network family and friends who have always believed in me, and 2 excellent mental health nurses who share the same approach to a non medication approach, i will stress it may not be suited for everyone

C

Cherry88

Hi,
Can you tell me what exact model have you used and what kind of mode/duration? And also can you detail a bit what was your brief psychotic episode?
Hey, I purchased the alpha stim aid, cant remember the exact price. I got it with a VAT discount may have been around the 500 mark.

In short, I had a very traumatic event and due to that I became very depressed for a short period wasnt eating sleeping or drinking much for a few weeks. Prior to the episode I had very little sleep probably about 5 hours over a week or a so. That week was when I spiralled to another reality, my trust in people had gone completely, had delusions people were out to get me or kill me, religious delusions, I had died in my head and thought I was in between worlds where I was being judged as to whether I was worthy to go back or not. It was within days I was hospitalised, which was traumatic enough in it self. The only positive is once I came out, I had a chance to really understand why I felt this way and unpick these thoughts with the help of my family friends and psychologist, i put everything back in order and in my own way was able to make sense of some of these feelings.

Its hard to describe every little detail, but I was told from the outset I would not work again for a while and to focus on accepting this condition, even though I felt the exact opposite. I was back to myself within a few weeks, contrary to what I had been told without meds, however I was left with dealing with the episode and my treatment in hospital so had alot of fear, anxiety and was scared to accept I might be well again.

This is where the alpha stim comes in, I started reading about ECT as I was surprised whilst in hospital it is still method used to treat patients. I stumbled across the stim and thought I would give it a try, initially I used it for 60 minutes a day for a few weeks, then down to 20 mins per day for another few weeks. Now I use it whenever I feel i need it.

Sorry I was not able to include my whole journey on here, it is hard to describe everything in words. I have been lucky with my support network family and friends who have always believed in me, and 2 excellent mental health nurses who share the same approach to a non medication approach, i will stress it may not be suited for everyone