• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alone (phobia)

A

anjeleyes

I have a phobia of being alone yet I have pushed my friends and family away. I have always felt the need to have a man in my life and if I don't have one or if I get rejected by one, I get into a depression. I hate being alone and when I do meet someone that interests me, I tend to fall in love way too easy and way to fast and of course this scares the shit out of him and he's gone... leaving me once again, ALONE. I feel I 'NEED' a man to make me happy and I can't seem to find happiness when I'm single.

Why am I like this? Does anyone else feel this way?

S

sunshineTime

A lot of people feel the same as you. If I’d had a penny for every time a female friend has complained about men being afraid of commitment and unable to handle somebody falling in love with them I’d be very rich. Well maybe not but I’d have a few pounds.

There is nothing wrong with you not wanting to be alone, it is totally natural to want to be in a relationship – I think we can’t help it, like it’s how we’re programmed. Don’t see it as a personal weakness, blame human nature!

There is nothing wrong with falling in love easily, it is a good thing to be able to express your feelings for somebody! Maybe you’ll find a guy who is able to handle this without freaking out and you’ll live happily ever after. In the mean time you could experiment with treating them mean, keeping them keen :)

Good Luck!

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I have a phobia of being alone yet I have pushed my friends and family away. I have always felt the need to have a man in my life and if I don't have one or if I get rejected by one, I get into a depression. I hate being alone and when I do meet someone that interests me, I tend to fall in love way too easy and way to fast and of course this scares the shit out of him and he's gone... leaving me once again, ALONE. I feel I 'NEED' a man to make me happy and I can't seem to find happiness when I'm single.

Hi Anjeleyes,
You are most definitely not alone. Many refer to this "needing a man to be complete" as the Cinderella Complex.
It can boil down to a fear of independance for women. The "wish to be saved".
It's more common that one would think, by all reports.
I fell prey to it too, awhile back, but am happy to say I can manage fine on my own and the world will not end if I don't have a man in my life.
:flowers:

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Push me pull you

I have a similar thing, I hate being alone but have pushed people away.

In my case its a fear of being abandoned (so to avoid being abandoned I abandon them first - push them away, thus helps me to "feel more in control" or at least have that illusion) combined with a fear of intimacy. Add that to my neediness for companionship and to be cared for and its all a complicated mess at times.

But having awareness of the pattern really helps.

I am obviously not saying you have the same patterns as I do. But if one bit resonates it may help.

I hope you have a good day today,

love from cloudberry:tea:

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I think it's human nature.

Hugs to everyone that's unhappily alone.

:grouphug:

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Many cultures are aware and accepting of the idea that we are 'completed' by the other partner. I believe 'feminism' regularly sends out reactive attacks on women who are aware of their own nature and wish to be in partnerships.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting or even needing to be in a relationship. Nor am I saying there is anything wrong with choosing to be single.

:flowers:

shaun3210

shaun3210

I have a similar thing, I hate being alone but have pushed people away.

In my case its a fear of being abandoned (so to avoid being abandoned I abandon them first - push them away, thus helps me to "feel more in control" or at least have that illusion)
I have very similar issues, I have in the past happily got into relationships but as soon as there is a rocky patch (which there always is sooner or later when dealing with people’s feelings) I tend to reject the other person before they reject me.

I thought it best to step off the relationship merry-go-round when I noticed the pattern, but I do hope to be able to step back on it one day:) as I find it isn’t nice being alone :(

H

huggybear65

I am just like you,when I find a girlfriend I tend to be very clingy and that scares them away,wish you lived in the UK lol

B

bill.toy

Theres a technique used in sexual therapy where 1 of the partners is having trouble actually having intercourse and is getting uptight about itb - and thats to take it off the agenda - but to do other things like sensual massage that gives pleasure.

Maybe adapting that to your situation might help - don't go out looking / expecting to find a man to fall in love with then worry about scaring him off - but try expanding your social network where you can meet more men who you can have in your life as friends - without the pressure of having to please and keep them