Almost-voices

Kerome

Kerome

The last time I tried (with approval of my psychiatrist) to reduce my medication, the first symptom I experienced was what I called almost-voices. This was basically a sensation in my hearing like tinnitus, a kind of white noise, except that it went up and down and would have pauses and things.

In the patterns of that noise I would start to hear voices, it was like I would hear snippets of things that would react to my inner state, especially when I would experience shock or alarm. And so it was a kind of series of statements that led to me becoming more and more alarmed, until it led to kind of an existential dread.

That last phase, existential fear, was about losing parts of my body energy, my soul if you will. It’s odd because essentially that was something of my own making, out of the remnants of previous parts of hearing voices, and sometimes my alarm at hearing this again. Then the insomnia started...

Now that my medication is back at its pre-reduction levels and we’ve given it about six weeks to stabilise, the noise patterns have vanished and I feel relaxed and near-normal... have you guys ever experienced something like that?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Yes, I've experienced something like this. I have heard what I assume is tinnitus for many years constantly, which I experience as a very faint "shhhhhh" ing with very, very quiet whistling on and off. It's never really bothered me so I've never mentioned it to a doctor. Well, when I get several nights of terrible sleep in a row and I feel strung out and foggy, the tinnitus seems to get louder and it starts to sound like a room full of people softly murmmering to each other. They are talking quiet enough that I can't understand what anyone is individually saying most of the time, but sometimes certain words sound louder and I can comprehend them. This is something different than the voices I more clearly hear on and off every day. When I finally get a better nights sleep, or I get caught up with my sleep, the murmmering voices change back to just tinnitus. But it doesn't happen every time I lack sleep. I guess I'd have to say it just happens sometimes with extreme lack of sleep.

Kerome

Kerome

Dear Kerome,

If it's not broke,
Don't fix it.
Lol, thanks for that Poopy. It made me laugh.

I’ve been trying to get off meds for a number of years but it seems for at least another while I will have to be content with the fact that the medications give me peace and stability, whatever the side effects.

Last edited: