• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

all this food is too much for me

T

TOONAFISH

have been good for a good while now, had a wee blip in oct/nov but got back on track. all this food round me and as soon as i let my guard down a wee bit i m binging and being sick again. it is so hard with everyione offering me food all the time and drinks. i just want to get aback to normal in a routine with my eating. xmas is hard.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi TOONAFISH,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment Christmas is a difficult time for most people suffering with EDs and those trying to recover for the very reasons you mentioned. Routines can get jumbled, it can be difficult to keep track of what you are having and if you are eating lots of foods or being exposed to lots of foods that maybe you don't normally eat and in such quantity it can bring up feelings and challenges that may have contributed to a blip.

Try not to beat yourself up about it.
I personally would try to get back into my routine as soon as possible, and let people around me know that I am not coping with the excess and pressures of food, that it is affecting my recovery at this time and I need to get back into a routine to help prevent a full relapse. I try to remember it is not a sign of weakness doing this or anything to be ashamed of or feel guilty about, relapses can happen and they can be got over.

The temptation I think when I try to get out of the binge purge cycle is to restrict on some meals because I feel guilty about the most recent binge. But this inevitably then makes me feel overly hungry and that then makes me more susceptible to a binge again leaving me back in the binge purge cycle. I have to somehow just try to overcome these feelings by thinking of the long term goal, start afresh and rigidly stick with all meals on my meal plan where I am not overeating or undereating.

There are some practical things that you can do that might help. If you are worried about getting portion sizes right try to mirror portion sizes of someone you know who eats healthy amounts, or get them to serve you.

I try to make sure that there is no other food on the table or in the vicinity that I can pick at, which can lead on to a binge for me. I eat what is on my plate, no more no less, so I can limit any guilty feelings or misperceptions of how much I have actually eaten.

When I eat my meals I try to eat mindfully and at a slower pace than normal to distinguish it from a binge. I also sit and eat in a place not associated with my bingeing again to help distinguish the meals from a binge.

I try to have a stop signal which signals to myself and my body that I have finished my meal and that is it, like chewing gum.

I try to distract myself after meal times as much as I can and avoid being on my own or in places where i might be tempted to binge and purge.

It might be useful to look at what foods you are bingeing on and why you might be bingeing on them. Is it that you have been bingeing on foods that you might be excluding from your diet? If that is that case can you introduce that food into your diet in a way that might feel safe to you to try and prevent further temptations to binge on it?

For me it wasn't until I allowed myself to have a little bit of some of my fear foods that I actually really liked but denyed myself in my diet in a way that was manageable and I could keep down that some of the binge cravings started to subside, because I no longer felt I was denying myself and that it was forbidden. It is worth thinking about.

If you do start a binge you can stop it any time, there is no rule that says you have to continue bingeing until you finish what you started. If you do manage to stop yourself i found it helpful to render the rest of the binge food that is available to me inedible so i could not retrieve it from a bin or wherever to continue it later. Sometimes I would pour bleach all over it to prevent me from bingeing on the rest of it. I would then try to get back to the menu plan as soon as possible to try and help prevent another binge from happening by feeling hungry or out of routine.

I hope you get on okay. Take care x

T

TOONAFISH

wow thank you so much for all that info.

I have coped so far today. went swimming. trying to stick to my goals. i have to do this! purging only leads to depression, so i have to stay away.

thanks so much for helping x