• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

All the days blur together

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I sometimes wonder if I'm going to have dementia when I'm older (older in this case meaning age 50+).

I hardly ever know what day it is. I remember things the day before I need to act on them, and then they vanish from my brain for a week before I suddenly realise I didn't end up doing what I was supposed to do.

Every week that goes by feels like about 2 days. I have a cleaner who comes every 2 weeks, and it literally feels like she's here every 4 days! It just all blurs and time rushes by!

Most days I sleep most of the day to avoid thinking, feeling, the relentless boredom, being irritated by all the constant noises that make my brain want to explode, and so I don't have to react or respond to anything. I just don't have the emotional energy.

So most of my days are only about 4 hours long in terms of daylight. Then I don't go to bed until about 2 hours before the sun comes up. It's just all a strange blur of boredom, apathy and avoidance.

I forgot my friend's birthday that was on November 14. I thought about it 2 days earlier, but then suddenly today I realised it was November 19 and I'd just totally forgotten...not about his birthday exactly, but I'd forgotten the blur of days that came in between...

I consistently forget to pay bills on time. I had to submit a medical certificate before an appointment I was going to have to attend which was on November 17. I kept thinking I had weeks to organise this, but then suddenly I looked at my phone calendar and...it's November 18. What? This can't be right, I think. There must be some sort of error. But nope. Just my normal brain, losing time again.

I ordered and paid for a session of Coolsculpting on my chin last week, and I have to make the actual appointment, but I keep forgetting this too. It's been a week. I was supposed to contact them the next day.

I feel like I try so hard to avoid and block out so much of the days that my brain's now doing it involuntarily.

jajingna

jajingna

This doesn't sound like a concern regarding dementia, more like just having your days being the same old thing for a good while. Sometimes I'm not sure of the day either but then it mostly doesn't matter when the days are all mostly the same. Same sort of routine, same sort of thoughts and feelings, same habits at around the same times, etc. Doing this for months and months, it can be easy to sometimes forget which day of the week it is. Wednesday? Thursday? OK, whatever. Lots of people ask that question, What day is it? No big deal. If nothing really stands out about any particular day it does sort of just seem like one long stretch sometimes with that Groundhog Day effect.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I sometimes wonder if I'm going to have dementia when I'm older (older in this case meaning age 50+).

I hardly ever know what day it is. I remember things the day before I need to act on them, and then they vanish from my brain for a week before I suddenly realise I didn't end up doing what I was supposed to do.

Every week that goes by feels like about 2 days. I have a cleaner who comes every 2 weeks, and it literally feels like she's here every 4 days! It just all blurs and time rushes by!

Most days I sleep most of the day to avoid thinking, feeling, the relentless boredom, being irritated by all the constant noises that make my brain want to explode, and so I don't have to react or respond to anything. I just don't have the emotional energy.

So most of my days are only about 4 hours long in terms of daylight. Then I don't go to bed until about 2 hours before the sun comes up. It's just all a strange blur of boredom, apathy and avoidance.

I forgot my friend's birthday that was on November 14. I thought about it 2 days earlier, but then suddenly today I realised it was November 19 and I'd just totally forgotten...not about his birthday exactly, but I'd forgotten the blur of days that came in between...

I consistently forget to pay bills on time. I had to submit a medical certificate before an appointment I was going to have to attend which was on November 17. I kept thinking I had weeks to organise this, but then suddenly I looked at my phone calendar and...it's November 18. What? This can't be right, I think. There must be some sort of error. But nope. Just my normal brain, losing time again.

I ordered and paid for a session of Coolsculpting on my chin last week, and I have to make the actual appointment, but I keep forgetting this too. It's been a week. I was supposed to contact them the next day.

I feel like I try so hard to avoid and block out so much of the days that my brain's now doing it involuntarily.
My brain doesn't work properly with these things either.
I have lists on the kitchen cupboards and blue tacked weekly planners.
My monthly calender can be very detailed and sometimes i even put on there when i washed my hair!

If i flea the cats, i will then go to my calender and go forward 6 weeks, and write 6weeks flea'd cats. If i dye my hair, i go forward 6 weeks and write 6w dyed hair.

I even will write 'chuck butter' or 'chuck flour' if i know there is a 6 month expiry or a date i will forget.

S

SadRainbow

I'm trying to write things down to help me remember. I have a pocket diary. Otherwise I would be entirely useless. My partner gets frustrated with me sometimes because I'm so forgetful but he does understand that it's a common aspect of depression.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I forget what the date and day is frequently. Like right now I could remember it’s Friday but had to look at a calendar to remember the date.
I think too, when days are much the same they just roll together. I don’t think your getting dementia unless I am too!

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

So it's not just me? I was really beginning to think I was "losing time" due to my brain growing ever more feeble!

Thank you so much for the support! 💝

D

Dazed & Confused

Ever since I had surgery six years ago my memory has been really bad. I wonder if it's because of the anaesthetic. I have read online that having anaesthetic can affect your memory. I used to have a super sharp memory but now I walk into rooms and I can't remember why I'm there. It worries me because my grandmother had dementia.

jajingna

jajingna

now I walk into rooms and I can't remember why I'm there.
This is a common experience. Think it has to do with the change of rooms. You have a thought about something, then you are in a different place, and that thought has sort of vanished for a minute and you say, hmm, what am I here for?

L

Leggyane

I'm the same. I write things down, then forget to check the list. Days just go past and like you all I dont know what day it is until I check telly. I feel it's to do with lack of motivation with the depression, days can be so hard. I'm increased to 200 sertraline 50 quintipine. Fingers crossed I get a lift in this feeling of nothingness. Thinking of you all, we just have to keep going.. x

mirrormaker

mirrormaker

i also have memory problems quite often. but is more related to the fact that im used to put my brain in automatic mode ,avoiding the mental effort of memorizing things and doing easy tasks
doing this too often makes it hard to remember things because the brain becomes lazy and is hard to focus when something needs to be remembered

M

MamaMax

It's not just you Stevie. I've been like this since a small child. Once I apparently came home from school wearing only one Welly boot with no idea where I had put the other.

Can we talk about your days? I know you are just doing whatever you have to, to keep on living, it's just you know that if you carry on like this, nothing will change. Something needs to change. I don't know what that is, maybe a new doctor, a new treatment plan, I wish I had the answers because no-one should have to live how you are living. All I know is that when we effectively give up, we are unlikely to get any better. And you so deserve to get better.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

i also have memory problems quite often. but is more related to the fact that im used to put my brain in automatic mode ,avoiding the mental effort of memorizing things and doing easy tasks
doing this too often makes it hard to remember things because the brain becomes lazy and is hard to focus when something needs to be remembered
Yeah, this is me too. I block so much out by sleeping so much that I feel like half my time is a dream state / only half awake.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

It's not just you Stevie. I've been like this since a small child. Once I apparently came home from school wearing only one Welly boot with no idea where I had put the other.

Can we talk about your days? I know you are just doing whatever you have to, to keep on living, it's just you know that if you carry on like this, nothing will change. Something needs to change. I don't know what that is, maybe a new doctor, a new treatment plan, I wish I had the answers because no-one should have to live how you are living. All I know is that when we effectively give up, we are unlikely to get any better. And you so deserve to get better.
Thank you so, so much!

My days are...nothing. I do literally nothing. I sleep if I'm able. I used to HATE staying home all day and not going out somewhere. Now, it's a relief to just sleep and when I do have to get up before noon to do something, I feel stressed. I never enjoy anything I do (hence why I don't do anything. Everything is either boring or anxiety-filled). If I'm with people I love, I'll pretend to be fine and happy, as I don't want them to be worried or sad.

I just realised I was supposed to call the postal service last October 2020 to organise a few refunds for missing parcels, but I STILL haven't done it. It's now almost December 2021!!!!