• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

All in-person social contact exhausts me

S

stevie_sloth

Is this anything anyone else has experienced?

I've always been a one-on-one kind of person, with one best friend and a few other "lesser" friends, as a kid. In my teens and 20s, I still had that one best friend and all my other friends I saw only when my best friend was there. They were my friends through her.

I then moved to another state and although I've been here since 2003, I have NO local friends. I did have two, who I made through work, but one of them drifted away as I was so quiet in person (compared to how open I was over email) and the other drifted too because she got sick of trying to get together while I avoided it.

Even my original best friend I hardly talk to anymore. I see her twice a year for one day. Her friends these days I mostly don't know.

My current "best" friend is an online friend who lives 30 minutes from me, but whom I have never met in person. Despite being very close friends for over two years. Yeeeaah.

The thing is, I don't WANT friends in person. It is just too tiring emotionally. I can never relax. Even the excess smiling I feel I must do leaves my jaw and neck sore, I sometimes get mild panic attacks (body shivers) and I slightly black out from too much forced laughing.

Fun times. Lol

Unique1

Unique1

Is this anything anyone else has experienced?

I've always been a one-on-one kind of person, with one best friend and a few other "lesser" friends, as a kid. In my teens and 20s, I still had that one best friend and all my other friends I saw only when my best friend was there. They were my friends through her.

I then moved to another state and although I've been here since 2003, I have NO local friends. I did have two, who I made through work, but one of them drifted away as I was so quiet in person (compared to how open I was over email) and the other drifted too because she got sick of trying to get together while I avoided it.

Even my original best friend I hardly talk to anymore. I see her twice a year for one day. Her friends these days I mostly don't know.

My current "best" friend is an online friend who lives 30 minutes from me, but whom I have never met in person. Despite being very close friends for over two years. Yeeeaah.

The thing is, I don't WANT friends in person. It is just too tiring emotionally. I can never relax. Even the excess smiling I feel I must do leaves my jaw and neck sore, I sometimes get mild panic attacks (body shivers) and I slightly black out from too much forced laughing.

Fun times. Lol
Yes I understand this.been thinking about this sort of thing a lot lately. Friendships can require a lot more energy than I have.
I never really realised this until I had a melt down 2 years ago, and on my journey after that ,it became hard work being with people. I realised I had always tried to please friends/others and now I find it so exhausting. even when I'm lonely ,I've thought about instigating a visit or a telephone call to a friend, but mostly think better of it as it exhausts me....I'm far from perfect but people seem so selfish to me nowadays...
Fun times indeed :)

aoi89

aoi89

Add me to the list. I'm completely socially exhausted, and I can completely empathise with your feelings about social contact.

S

stevie_sloth

Good to know others feel the same way.

I love and seek out internet interactions because i like who i am online. I am the most natural form of me. But in person, i am self conscious, insecure, bored, tired, always trying to fit in. Hence, exhaustion.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can relate to what you're saying too.
It is draining to have real life interactions and to deal with the anxiety that comes with that.
I really like the idea of having company because i'm so alone a lot of the time, but the reality of being around people is tough.

I think it's really good that you've got some good online connections and I think that that's better than nothing.

I suppose I would say though is that I do think it's important to have some social contact with people - even if it's just one person for a short amount of time. Otherwise, things could get worse in terms of anxiety levels.

If you can find calm environments to be in, that's a good place to start.
Years ago I used to attend reading groups at my local library, I still go to some meditation classes and do pottery. All of those activities are quiet and supportive. Perhaps it's something to consider.