• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

All alone

Q

Quietman5

Has anyone else ever felt all alone irregardless of the situation. Although you may have friends and acquaintenances you always feel alone whetherit is a seminar or a simple staff meeting. I always feel alone and inferior and I don’t know how to overcome this anx8ety? All help and ideas are appreciated!

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Quietman5!

I feel that way all the time! I actually don't have any close friends, but I do feel inferior socially and intellectually compared to other people.

But I've learned that I really needed to identify what my fears were regarding being alone so that I could neutralize the feeling. In other words, being alone is not a bad thing in of itself. Loneliness is the negative feeling we attach to being alone. We attach it because we're unhappy and we're afraid that this state will continue indefinitely.

Realizing why you're unhappy with your loneliness is the first step towards overcoming it. When you get to a point where you can accept being alone and that it's okay to be alone, you'll be in a much better state of mind. So what scares you? Is it the quiet? The absence of companionship? The fear of the unknown? The financial and emotional instability? The lack of connection?

Really pinpoint which things bother you the most about your loneliness. If it's hard to come up with specifics, talking to a therapist will come in handy. They'll guide you to places you may have overlooked. You'll recognize parts of yourself you either didn't want to accept or didn't know existed. It can be a very illuminating experience.

Take some time to get to know yourself, Quietman5. You'll realize you can be the friend that you've needed all along just by showing yourself a little mercy and understanding.

I wish you all the best! Stay safe!

OddballOut

OddballOut

Yes. I feel alone often, especially surrounded by people. Haven't over come it though so.... not really much help there, just want you to know that you're not the only one. You're not really alone.