• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcoholism & non-alcoholic drinks

emski

emski

Does anyone have any experience of this? Giving up alcohol but enjoying non-alcoholic beers and wines as an alternative? Reason is, my Dad had a long standing alcohol problem until his stroke in Oct. Now, in a nursing home, he was getting distressed when the other residents were being allowed alcoholic drinks and he was not.

I discussed this with the manager - we didn't want to exclude him, restrcit his choices and rights, but at the same time didn't want him to have alcohol for reasons of his physical (risk of further strokes + interactions with medications) and mental health (didn't want him to have one drink and want more and also possibly suffer further withdrawls).

Thus we decided to give him a non-alcoholic beer in the afternoon when the other residents are having their drink - he seems to enjoy this, though I don't know whether he can tell it's non-alcoholic.

My questions. Is this a good idea? Do any other people with experience of alcohol dependence think this could cause problems around the addiction and psychologically wanting more? Also, do you think it is morally acceptable what we are doing, even if it is in his best interests?

I can't help feeling like I am tricking my own dad. Any thoughts or ideas on this would be much appreciated... thanks :)

SimonB

SimonB

Emski...I think the ethics are fine, its always a problem trying to balance everything and besides if he's happy......

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Personally I steer well clear of the non-alcoholic wines/beers etc. The reason being they taste too much like the real thing without the effect. As it is the effect that I crave if I were to drink these non-alcoholic beverages it would only be a matter of time till they led me to the real thing.

Your dad is in a different position to me though and quite possibly not able to go out or have access to the real thing. I believe you are acting in his best interests therefore agree with Simon.

emski

emski

So I visited my Dad. The nurse reckons she has explained to my Dad that they are giving him alcohol-free beer and that apparently he is fine with this! Maybe he just likes the kind of beery taste, feels included because he can have something now to drink when the other residents do, and maybe it makes a change from tea, coffee, water and juice. Any road, he seems cool with it for the now.

Thanks again guys for your feedback :grouphug:

S

skyblue

I'm so glad he's happy Emski. I was worried he wouldn't be happy with it, as he didn't really choose to quit the alcohol.

I'm glad he understands that it's for his best intentions healthwise and all.

:flowers:

emski

emski

TBH I have no idea whether he fully understands its booze free or not, but if it makes him happy, then I am happy enough with that, though I'm dreading the day that he realises there's a pub at the end of the road and wheels himself there. Every time I take him out for a 'walk' I have to go different ways to avoid passing pubs!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TulipIceCream Substance Abuse Forum 11
TulipIceCream Substance Abuse Forum 5