• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

alcoholics anonymous

C

cally75

Hi all. Well Thursday my first session at Al anon. Has anyone been there before & was it helpful? I don't know what to expect!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I have gone to an AA family meeting, whatever it's called. Basically i'm not an alcoholic, but have one in the family and was seeking support.
What I gathered was that each group does things their own way really, but use the 12 Steps as a general guide. So a group in one area might be different from a group in another area.
I found people very supportive and confidentiality/non-judgement seemed to be a big principle in the group, which was really helpful.

The approach may be different in AA groups for alcohol users.. maybe some other people here might have gone and will be able to give you a more accurate idea of what goes on.

Good luck for Thursday though. Hope it goes well.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I havn't done al anon, the group setting wouldn't work for me, with my anxiety and PTSD issues, but wishing you the best of luck at reducing or eliminating your drinking all together. When drinking was a problem for me I relied on the The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com and the SMART Recovery® - Tool Chest and Homework and tools to help me get my drinking under control. It was a three year journey to get my binging under control I wish you the best of luck in your recovery journey.

C

cally75

Thanks all. I find this site useful when I just need to get things off my chest. Admin does a top job!

Gajolene

Gajolene

I turned to this site when I got my drinking under control, they have a better access to information and understanding of mental health issues and are not so addiction only focused. I found it more understanding, inviting and less judgemental. We've got a lot of fantastic people here.:hug:

C

cally75

Are all Admin ex mental health problem sufferers? Only they can understand anyone else's problems!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Are all Admin ex mental health problem sufferers? Only they can understand anyone else's problems!
I think all the staff have their own issues.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm not admin, just a guide, but i'm by no means an "ex" mental health sufferer - it's very much still going on.
Staff definitely either have or are still on their own journey with mental health issues. x

C

clyde

Yeah, they can help you a lot. I've been attending AA meeting when I start to quit drinking alcohol

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi cally74, i regularly attend meetings and find them helpful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TulipIceCream Substance Abuse Forum 5