• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcohol

Funnyday

Funnyday

I've stopped drinking alcohol. My voices are going on and on about going for a drink down the pub. They won't let up. They are saying that I should celebrate Brexit taking place today. I would like to have a drink but know that if I break today then I will be drinking every day again.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Stay strong! If having a drink is something that your voices want then it must be good for them, and what's good for them is usually bad for you.

Mine thrives off cannabis so I've been abstaining since August 2016 but every time I visit a friend that still smokes it my voice is trying to encourage me to have a smoke with him, not going to happen!

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
You're doing so well Funnyday to stay strong, despite what your voices are telling you. As NWiddi has pointed out, what your voices want you to do is often not what is the best option. Mine used to harp on about illicit drugs, despite being clean for 12 years!

You've got this!

Funnyday

Funnyday

I've started a Coffee habit since quiting the booze. I drink gallons of the stuff each day.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think it is actually a spirit guide!

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I think Funnyday was talking about a pint rather than whiskey or vodka, or did you mean an actual spirit guide and not a voice trying to guide him to drink spirits lol.

Funnyday

Funnyday

I just have to find something to do. To occupy my time. So that I don't slip into drinking the booze again. I would rather be drunk than sober. I have to find a way to change that.

Funnyday

Funnyday

The voices were at it again last night. They were saying go to the Pub to have a meal and a few drinks. Go on get drunk.

I've now switched from Coffee to green tea as a substitute. I'm drinking gallons of the stuff.

JustMe1982

JustMe1982

I've started a Coffee habit since quiting the booze. I drink gallons of the stuff each day.
Be careful with the coffee. My psychiatrist told me to test panic attacks they give people caffeine to induce them. If it makes you feel anxious at all I would cut back. If not have at it.

EdEd

EdEd

The voices were at it again last night. They were saying go to the Pub to have a meal and a few drinks. Go on get drunk.

I've now switched from Coffee to green tea as a substitute. I'm drinking gallons of the stuff.
Green tea has L-Theanine in it and is good for you , excellent choice.

Funnyday

Funnyday

Argh! My voices are trying to get me to buy some Booze. It's really hard to resist. If I slip up tonight, it will just lead to more booze the day after.