• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Alcohol withdrawing bipolar and clueless

D

Defender110

Hi everyone. I'm Matt and so glad to be here.
I've BPII ultra rapid cycling, mixed state...and still alive after 40 years :)
However, although being well medicated (lithium, lamictal, trazodon, brintellix) I've been abusing alcohol for 20 years and gave up 13 days ago after a serious wake-up call. I'm here to find out what the hell is happening to me and hopefully help others. Thanks for listening.

toutatis

toutatis

Hi Matt,

Good on you for addressing these things, yes. You're absolutely not alone in wanting to get through troubling issues.

Welcome aboard, friend.

Wandering2

Wandering2

I was diagnosed about 14 years ago. I also use alcohol. Also amazed Im still alive after all the assualts on me as a result of my behavior. People have tried to kill me, I've been robbed multiple times, jumped out of cars, windows, and other things like picking up homeless people. I was attacked by a group of men who stole my clothing head to toe assaulted found by my neighbors knocking at their door for help. Woke up in the hospital 4x the legal limit. No withdrawals or hangover, but also hardly a memory of the night before besides being found nude without a thing. Alcohol and bipolar are dangerous together friends.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Im also very mixed, and it's hard esspecially when your doctor doesn't listen and meds just are never right.

D

Defender110

Do you take lithium? People seem to be terrified of the stuff but it is absolutely the first line of attack on mixed states. I don't take much and it takes months to work but I would be dead without it. Shrinks often avoid it - maybe it's too "old-school"?
Then start to tweak other meds from there.

Wandering2

Wandering2

I know it's been around a while, but it can build in your system and become toxic. Probably why they avoid it. I was thinking vraylar or brintellix someone else suggested. I see my doctor today. Im thinking of bringing it up.

D

Defender110

I've been taking lithium for 13 years. My kidneys, thyroid etc. are in good condition (probably better than most - blood tests every 3 to 6 months and ultrasound once a year). It doesn't damage your liver...I'm just saying don't discount it based on some stories.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Yea, my doctor is thinking lithium in the future and kicking out lamictal. And upping seroquel even though it makes me more anxious 🙄

Wandering2

Wandering2

But since vraylar is new she said it's a no go and expensive.