Alcohol problem

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the whole business makes me want a drink

S

SelfRespect

Hello again AG.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Alcoholics Anonymous worked for me. Accepting that I am an alcoholic, and knowing that I cannot take the first drink. I do not need a drink until I take a drink.

There was mention earlier in the thread about the quasi religious overtones. A.A. works for people who do believe in God, it works for those who do not believe in God, and it even works for the people who think they are God.

There are some who say you are better in A.A. pretending you are alcoholic, rather than outside A.A. pretending you are not.

You have mentioned before that you do not think you are ready for A.A. How far are you willing to take it before you think you might be ready?

No-one can force you to go. You have to do it for yourself. I can only say that you do not need to wait until alcohol takes everything from you, as I did.

Whatever you decide, I hope you are well and having a good day today :)
As I said the problem is the AA here is in the evening 7 miles away and I do not have a car, just a bike and soon the light in the evening will fade and I have to cross a very very busy A road several times to stay on the cycle path, this is not an excuse it is fear.

I'm also struggling with my depression and anxiety quite badly at the moment and have convinced my husband to let me get a shop tomorrow, I won't have any tonight but to know I will tomorrow helps.

My GP asked if I drink to help with the mood or the mood comes after drinking, it definitely comes b4, I've been slowly sinking for about 3-4 weeks now and need a relaxant

Last edited:
ghost_girl80

ghost_girl80

I'm not an alcoholic as such but I have been drinking every night for years and have become seriously obese because of this. In May I decided enough was enough, cut down the alcohol, got a turbo trainer for my neglected bike and set about loosing weight. I have lost 1.5 stones, lost 10" off my waist and dropped 3,5 off my BMI. But, over the last three weeks have started to increase the alcohol consumption again. We order our shopping online and my husband and children do not check it, I've been buying enough to have two to three beers every night and 6 on a Friday (I had dropped to just 6 on a Friday b4) now I've convinced my husband to let me have some for the start of his holiday and I didn't add as many as I thought to the order, so now I have to trick my son, 13, to ride with me into town on bikes, 7 miles, for what it's worth, ( we can no longer afford a car) to go to the supermarket to buy more so I have enough to at least take we to Sunday. I'm slipping and don't know how to stop it. I tried once b4 and only lasted 6 weeks. I used to smoke b/w the ages of 9 and 22, when I decided to give up I did just like that, it was a sinch, so why does alcohol so easily defeat me?
idk but i am the same way about alcohol & it sucks! idk why it is so damn hard to stop, but it certainly is! i hope you will find your way away from this & that you can figure things out. good luck & maybe keep in touch & let me know.

M

megirl

Well my hubby told me all the time I'm an alcoholic, I aren't I almost got kicked out of an AA meeting as: I dont drink most or every day, I can story for months without thinking about alcohol. I dont need alcohol to function.
I'm the opposite as soon as I drink I dont function I become distressed agitated overwhelmed etc

I do abuse alcohol in the past i havnt drunk since my husband and I split a year ago (today)
I think the diagnosis of different substance use disorders depends on how your drinking,your patterns of behaviour and the why you are drinking in the first place.
I am fortunate I dont have an addiction

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
according to the gp i'm a problem drinker not an alcoholic, an alcoholic drinks when he knows it's doing him harm, the distinction didn't go down well at a alky meeting, they just laughed

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I'm struggling not to buy any tonight .....

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Update : I caved in, too lonely on a Friday night, sat with a bottle and movie .....

ghost_girl80

ghost_girl80

me too & i have so much to lose as i am on parole...just want to hit the f it button here!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i always say that when i'm out in the area or on the bus in the morning the no of people who stink of alcohol fumes, if i've got a problem what about them?

psychiatrist when i had one said don't compare yourself to other people