• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcohol misuse and PTSD comorbidity: a significant problem lacking solutions

F

firemonkee57

Alcohol misuse and PTSD comorbidity: a significant problem lacking solutions

Readers of the Mental Elf will be aware that problematic drinking is a major issue in the UK; 24.2% of the UK population are classed as hazardous drinkers (8+ AUDIT scores) and 3.8% as harmful drinkers (16+ AUDIT scores). Two-thirds of harmful drinkers show symptoms of alcohol dependence (NICE 2011). Although alcohol misuse is a major problem in its own right, it is argued that alcohol misuse in combination with other mental illnesses may have especially poor outcomes.

One illness that may be particularly problematic when comorbid with alcohol misuse is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Although the rates of comorbidity between PTSD and alcohol misuse are not as high as some disorders (e.g. anxiety and depression) this does not mean PTSD with alcohol misuse is not a major issue. Indeed, symptoms of each disorder may mask each other, outcomes may be poorer than for either illness in isolation, and alcohol misuse may sometimes be a consequence of PTSD.

The current review focuses on the comorbidity between PTSD and alcoholism with additional focus on whether particular symptoms of PTSD are associated with alcohol misuse.
- See more at: Alcohol misuse and PTSD comorbidity

Chris22

Chris22

Good read. Thanks, Firemonkee. Chris ~ drinking himself to death as he types.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I found with myself that professionals would refuse to treat both conditions simultaneously, They refused to even address the PTSD symptoms unless a full rehab took place first. The problem being the PTSD fueled the addiction urges to numb and forget by selfmedicating. The depression from drinking further fuels the flashbacks and anxieties associated with the PTSD. It rather is a huge obstacle to overcome. I do believe both need to be addressed as a more comprehensive approach in treatment rather than this one or the other approach most hospitals take as a current approach.

Chris22

Chris22

Indeed, Gag'. They dried me out. Fifteen years or so I was dry.

Fifteen years during which I just buzzed around in my own, tiny, world. They never having managed to touch the PTSD.

Then, something rattled my cage that one bit too much. Been permanently pissed for the past decade. Cest le vie.

trinny

trinny

alcohol

Yes i aggree visiouse circle it self medicates an knumbs flashbacks but then becomes a problem itself therapy needs understand give some copeing tools to use while alcohol counciling both could work only my oppinion on it thow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7920NewbridgeCovina Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3