• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcohol & Meds

L

Lil

For years was drinking quite a lot. During stressful times I was going through nearly a bottle of wine a night (even weeknights) And over the past few years (not as bad as the past) every week would be a bottle of burbon to myself (over friday night, sat & sun - with rarely any alcohol on weeknights). I didn't think it was a big deal until my psychologist asked how much i drank and almost fell out of his chair.

Anyway once getting put on Lexapro I decided to cut right back. First week on it i didn't touch any alcohol then decided I'd do the one glass of red wine a night which apparently is fairly good for you anyway. Friday night this weekend I thought 'what the hell, its the weekend, i'll make it two glasses'. Was feeling tired so got an early night and was up at 6.30am Saturday. But then was back in bed by 8.30 for half an hour. Again at 11am I felt so weary i had to go back to bed for a while. By 1pm i was lying down again and fell asleep for another hour. A little after 4pm same thing.

That evening had another two glasses of wine and the next day the same thing... every few hours i felt i absolutely HAD to lie down, like i'd been sedated.

I assume it had to be the alcohol and medication not mixing well. I guess its time to try and give up alcohol? :cry:

Anyway feel free to jump in with your thoughts and your own experiences. I've looked up online trying to find out if lexapro doesn't mix well with alcohol and get so many mixed answers its not funny - everything from 'its fine' to 'its dangerous' to 'alcohol can make lexapro stop working because ones a depressant and the other is an antidepressant and both work on the CNS'. *shrug* not sure which to believe. My doc doesn't seem concerned with a drink or two on it but I think its pretty safe to assume someone who NEVER naps during the day suddenly unable to go a few hours without napping after a good nights sleep has something to do with the alcohol not agreeing with it.

A

Affective

For years was drinking quite a lot. During stressful times I was going through nearly a bottle of wine a night (even weeknights) And over the past few years (not as bad as the past) every week would be a bottle of burbon to myself (over friday night, sat & sun - with rarely any alcohol on weeknights). I didn't think it was a big deal until my psychologist asked how much i drank and almost fell out of his chair.

Anyway once getting put on Lexapro I decided to cut right back. First week on it i didn't touch any alcohol then decided I'd do the one glass of red wine a night which apparently is fairly good for you anyway. Friday night this weekend I thought 'what the hell, its the weekend, i'll make it two glasses'. Was feeling tired so got an early night and was up at 6.30am Saturday. But then was back in bed by 8.30 for half an hour. Again at 11am I felt so weary i had to go back to bed for a while. By 1pm i was lying down again and fell asleep for another hour. A little after 4pm same thing.

That evening had another two glasses of wine and the next day the same thing... every few hours i felt i absolutely HAD to lie down, like i'd been sedated.

I assume it had to be the alcohol and medication not mixing well. I guess its time to try and give up alcohol? :cry:

Anyway feel free to jump in with your thoughts and your own experiences. I've looked up online trying to find out if lexapro doesn't mix well with alcohol and get so many mixed answers its not funny - everything from 'its fine' to 'its dangerous' to 'alcohol can make lexapro stop working because ones a depressant and the other is an antidepressant and both work on the CNS'. *shrug* not sure which to believe. My doc doesn't seem concerned with a drink or two on it but I think its pretty safe to assume someone who NEVER naps during the day suddenly unable to go a few hours without napping after a good nights sleep has something to do with the alcohol not agreeing with it.
It's true, alcohol does stop your medication from working. When I drank on Olanzapine, I began to hear to voices again and my paranoia came back and then became depressed.

L

Lil

Damn, wish my doctor had have mentioned that.

A

Affective

Also, sorry I forgot to add, that if you have a psychiatric disorder it can cause the chemicals to imbalance and make the situation worse, alcohol that is. Even if you have mild depression it sure can worsen it. So it's necessary for you to find another way of coping otherwise you might just need a new Liver. This isn't a criticism, because I have also drunk when down or upset, but rather some advice my friend :).

L

Lil

Thanks Affective, much appreciated :)