• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcohol is the only thing that helps

OddballOut

OddballOut

is CBD oil available (legal) in your country. I've known a few people who use that to calm their brains and/or sleep. It has the thc taken out.

Might be an alternative.

Another one might be meditation and or mindfulness. When you're feeling the negative emotions and you believe you cant deal with them....... well, trying to block them forever is not a good idea at all really.

You've lived with negative emotions before. In fact humans feel more negative emotions in a day than positive ones. Maybe telling yourself you are capable of handling the negative emotions, and reminding yourself that they do pass, will help as well.

It's definitely more difficult than numbing it away with alcohol, but then, besides becoming alcohol dependant, you also run the risk of avoiding every single thing that might even make u feel slightly uncomfortable.

I wish I had known of alternatives when I was a teenager. And then I still wish that when I found out about alternative ways and feeling through the negative emotions that I had spent more time practicing them. Even though they were really painful (mentally) sometimes.

Usually now i use video games, go for small walks, lay in the grass and zone out to tv to sleep, to give the feelings time to pass. Haven't really gotten to the point of allowing myself to feel negative emotions (except anger). It's a lot more difficult for me now than it would have been when I first noticed the problem. It's going to take years, I've been told by my p-doc, to unravel the mess i unknowingly caused myself.

Good luck @Cillian - believe in your strength okay

C

Cillian

I feel bad bc it must seem like I'm not appreciating the advice you're all giving me but that's not true. But I don't know how to do it. I guess I know you're right. But it's hard. I don't need alcohol but I don't like feeling bad and it's an easy way out I guess. When I'm completely sober everything feels raw and painful and like too much. When I'm only slightly buzzed the feelings are still there but it's like they're behind a glass wall and they don't affect me as much anymore. It definitely helps but it freaks me out sometimes bc I don't drink a lot but I drink regularly and what if I build up a tolerance and need more to feel the same affect. I don't wanna end up dependent but not drinking almost seems like the worse option atm

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

You might want to look into getting an anti-depressant prescribed, Cillian. I was 37 when I finally recognized I had a chronic problem with depression. My wife convinced me to see a psychiatrist and he prescribed Paxil (an SSRI medication). It turned my life completely around.

The last few years I've also developed anxiety (the other side of the depression/anxiety coin). Paxil is not so good for addressing the anxiety, but it has cured most of my severe depression. As for Anxiety, I do meditation exercises, try and walk every day and occasionally I'll take a very minor dosage of Xanax-which is a mild tranquilizer. That takes the edge off my anxiety. I only take .25 mg, which is a very mild dose, but it helps especially at night.

Oh yeah, I also drink one beer every day. I'm on a low carb diet and have lost 40 pounds over the last year, but I allow myself one glass a day of good beer. That little 'buzz' I get at 5:00 pm every day feels very good, it helps a wee bit with the anxiety. But, I can only have one beer and not more than that.

Drinking too much may help you in the short term, but it has long term issues. Better to see a doctor and get prescribed the proper medication for your condition. It changed my life, I'm sure it can do the same thing for you. Good luck!

ht46

ht46

I'm trying to reduce the amount I drink I've managed two days last week one day this week and just consuming less, I find a comforting distraction can help like have a hot chocolate getting under some blankets and reading. Just always having a distraction available and remember life with less booze is always a positive one. But if you're only just starting to get cravings I would really try and go dry beat it early.

ht46

ht46

But building the habit was they same for me just the convenience of it a trip to the shops and the instant relief that was 11 years ago.

Zero One

Zero One

I wish alcohol would help me now like it did in the past. Nowadays when I drink I just feel overcome by nothing and I fall asleep. That is on vodka though, not sure if I should try champagne.

C

Cillian

My doctor sort of implied I should think about trying antidepressants but I haven't gone back to see him so idk

You know what's weird. I don't like alcohol. I rarely drink at social gatherings and I don't like clubbing. I have no desire to drink when I'm out with friends and I don't enjoy the taste of alcoholic drinks.
For me it's basically just an affordable way of calming myself down. I come home and I already feel myself getting agitated because my father is home and I'm stressing out about possible confrontation. Just having this bottle to hold on to helps. It's probably less the alcohol itself and more the feeling of doing something, holding on to something. I don't think I would need that if I were living in a less hostile household and felt more safe.

S

Sarah2020

I'm weak and it seems like I have become unable to deal with negative emotions. During the day it's mostly ok but in the evening I find it hard to cope and I don't wanna bother anyone so I just sit here, feeling increasingly stressed out. It would be so easy to steal some alcohol from my parents. They wouldn't even notice. They don't drink a lot so all gifted bottles for birthdays and stuff is just sitting there. I'm so fucking sad and it drives me crazy knowing the stuff is there and it would help but I'm not "allowed" to drink it.
Hi Taavi,

I have developed a drinking problem. Similar to you on certain afternoons or evenings I am triggered, I feel stressed, anxious, sad, unmotivated and bored. In the past I felt suicidal and depressed, using alcohol asa way to cope, to relax and fall asleep. Often backfiring, when I was suicidal it increased my emotionality and pain, it worked me up and made me want to kill myself.

you are young and as you mentioned earlier you have never really Been a drinker. You need help. You need to see your GP, talk about what’s going on, get counselling or a psychologist.Join a local AA group and get a sponsor to call when you are triggered. Try to force yourself to do an alternative activity when triggered, put on your joggers and go for a run, join a group.

drinking to forget and blockout how you are feeling is a temporary bandaid solution that will cause you more problems in the future. When you sober up the problems you have avoided are all still there. Your GP can prescribe medications to help with your anxiety and cravings for alcohol.

sounds like you need a good friend and laugh, someone you can open up to and then chill without the need for alcohol. Watch a funny movie, call an old friend, start a new sport (like boxing or running or cycling group).

whatever works for you.Alcohol is a poison, full of calories you will gain a middle aged beer belly in no time, it kills brain cells and impairs your memory. Alcohol ages your skin,causes damage to your liver, kidneys and brain.

it’s not worth it! I hope you find the support you need

Sarah

jajingna

jajingna

Excess is the problem. I've known lots of folks who drink some beer/booze frequently, but are not excessive. I was a bartender for one year. I think most of the regular customers did not have a drinking problem. If they did I saw no evidence of it. They might come in several times a week or just weekends and have a few beers with their buddies, just being social after work, and that's it.

I was an excessive drinker, and another bartender was too. We did some of our drinking during work even. So we both had drinking problems. Buts lots of guys are moderate enough that it is not a problem. Now, I understand this is the substance abuse forum where most posters need to abstain. What I'm saying is that it is possible to be responsible and not overdo it. In fact I think that's how most drinkers are. There's just some of us who go too far and cause ourselves damage with the stuff.

S

Steve1981

I'm weak and it seems like I have become unable to deal with negative emotions. During the day it's mostly ok but in the evening I find it hard to cope and I don't wanna bother anyone so I just sit here, feeling increasingly stressed out. It would be so easy to steal some alcohol from my parents. They wouldn't even notice. They don't drink a lot so all gifted bottles for birthdays and stuff is just sitting there. I'm so fucking sad and it drives me crazy knowing the stuff is there and it would help but I'm not "allowed" to drink it.
You are not weak!