• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcohol and Nicotine

A

Affective

As you previously might have seen I have written how I am being watched and I am hearing terrifying voices. Since then I have started smoking more and drinking alcohol a little a bit to ease the pain. In fact I think it's starting to add to my depression and making it worse. What can I do to stop this and replace it with something more productive?

SimonB

SimonB

I found giving up alcohol easier, but then you have to cope without anything to numb what your feeling and that's the hard bit, but if you can get by without alcohol then you should try....it does make depression worse, I used to drink to numb how I felt and it only added to the misery. Don't worry about the fags, its not great, but you need to give up one substance at a time...and give yourself a chance:flowers:

iffybob

iffybob

If

If you wanna quit smoking .... go to you GP surgry .. mine has a stop smoking nurse ... and if you get free perscriptions the patches etc are free ...

emski

emski

I've found giving up smoking whilst unwell is the worst time to do it - it has only added to my difficulties. I'm well now but still smoke. I don't want to smoke now but I am scared of what will happen if I try and quit, whether it will affect my mood too much. I find alcohol makes me really depressed anyway, so I try and do without it and only have the occasional blip.

I hope you find the right balance, I don't know what healthy behaviour you can use to replace this, I can only think that something that really helps me out is a walk or a long swim. Sorry to not be much more help

A

Apotheosis

Managed to stop all substances, including drink; but nicotine has me by the balls.

emski

emski

You have done really well Ap, you should be proud of what you have conquered

A

Apotheosis

I did that ... ooops ... lung desease .. :scared:
Your story isn't lost on me Bob.

It may sound simple - but I know enough of addiction to know that I have to get to a place of really wanting to stop smoking; to be able to stop. I need to get to a place of willingness to really want to stop smoking; then I can do it. I have been thinking of the pointlessness of smoking today. Such an addictive drug. I have a friend who is dying of throat cancer - he's still drinking alcoholically & chain smoking.

iffybob

iffybob

I do have to admit I have that gentic factor ... and if I could still smoke and be able to breath I would .. but i still keep ciggy gum around ... just in case ...

They put me on a 3 mounth come down plan ... 3 steps of patches ...

... any one got a ciggy ... stop talkin about em .. ya tormenting me aint ya ,,, (mumble .....)

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Bob - I would love to be smoke free & find freedom from this filth.

Getting there is another matter. My smoking is tied into highly complex psychological, & social factors - that just won't be addressed on a 'smoke stop' group.

iffybob

iffybob

I didnt do group.. I just took the patches and the lozenges and kept to it ... I also used it to help ... so I suppose I am pritty much up it now ....

... yep I see ya point ... :( ... cant say that I am happy about giving up survival instinct what can I say ... iI still have to keep it up though ... :confused:

iffybob

iffybob

cheers ... all this talk I had to have piece of gum ... hehe .. just bin off the last of the patches a few days ... and been averaging a piece of gum a day .. so thats ok by me .. (y)