• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Alcohol and bipolar

pandr oid

pandr oid

Do you drink alcohol? how much? how often? how does it make you feel?

I used to drink a lot of alcohol, but after my last hospitalization a year ago I decided to quit.
With one exception during christmas day 2019, when I drank a glass of wine. That night I could not
sleep properly, I had weird thoughts and I become emotionally unstable. After 3 days
I was back to normal.

Zardos

Zardos

I'm bipolar and don't drink at all now.. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions.. Trouble is my inhibitions are the only thing keeping me in check... I used to drink many years ago and it was an unmitigated disaster.. I fought with my wife (ex now) I smashed the place up and got arrested.. Allot.
Recently I've been craving a bottle of Vodka.. But I'm scared of what I mite do if I was drunk.. It lets loose all my demons... I could lose everything... These days for kicks I abuse my medications..But its not the same... I would love to be drunk or high right now but its something I've had to give up.. Its the price of living on the outside... My personality is just too precariously
balanced.. Too much rocking the boat and I'm sunk.
You know what the alcoholics say... 'one is too many, and a hundred is not enough'... That's how I used to drink.. No moderation at all.. If I'd of had the one.. I would of finished the bottle and then gone in search of a bottle of Vodka... And that's when the 'magic' happens.. Evil stuff alcohol.. It ought to be banned !

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I'm bipolar and used to drink one or two glasses of red wine everyday for about a year. I was doing it for health reasons and didn't even like the taste. I stopped when I learnt that it could interfere with my meds.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

My GP gave me this advice with regards alcohol and bi polar meds

One drink would make you ill;
Two drinks would put me in A&E;
A bottle would put me in the morgue.

How true this is I don't know, but a AA friend of mine said this

"What would really be improved by me having a drink."

Having been a very heavy drinker, I now remember both these statements everytime I want a drink.

F

floater

Been on the wagon since 2nd January. Doing quite well but with the plague (trademark pending) brewing in the far east of everywhere, wondering if I timed this wrong?

K

KittyN

I made the decision to stop drinking completely as it is not recommended to mix with alcohol and it is a trigger for manic depressive episodes.

Caracol

Caracol

I quit this past summer. It's basically a mania simulator for me. And, while your liver is processing the alcohol as it's first priority, it can't properly process your meds (if you're on them) and can set things off kilter for weeks. Just not worth it.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Im with Zardos, but yeah if your having weird thoughts don't drink. People with mental illness esspecially on medication shouldn't drink at all. I do, only because my medications are trash. But don't drink, marijuana makes me feel way too wrong. I use to drink 10 a day everyday, now its 3-8. 2× a week. If you quit for a while your tolerance goes down a lot. So your next drink could be one of the craziest. Because people think they can handle the same amount.

R

Roo88

Hi I gave up alcohol 2 years ago and have been mostly stable since then, l used to get quite paranoid and angry and stopping has made feel so much better.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I enjoy a drink every so often but not much.