• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Alcohol anaesthetised PTSD...

A

Againandagain

..then when I stopped drinking immediately without medical help, I slipped into psychosis, unbeknownst to me. I would have rages beyond control and this lasted for 2 years until I was finally hospitalised. Now, I still don't drink but I don't have much of a life left and I'm traumatised that I lost my home, my stability. I am trying to piece my life back together, first by accepting that I got ill, the fact that I have to take medication, the fact that my immediate situation has no quick fix. I could have/should have/would have gone into rehab had I known only drinking beer for cheer was not "only drinking beer for cheer" - I was not against the idea and I went to see a doctor at the time, as well as joining an infamous self-help group that I thought was officially helpful, as opposed to using the word "God" to be the answer to everything. I had nothing against the word "God", or thinking laterally about healing but I really needed expert help.
I take Abilify now - has anybody else taken Abilify for PTSD and does it work long-term?

N

NoOne5

I hope you are feeling better now. No I've never taken Abilify. :hug: :hug:

A

Againandagain

I hope you are feeling better now. No I've never taken Abilify. :hug: :hug:
Thank you for the hugs. The Abilify works, I'm just in shock, grief-stricken, a state of disbelief and a shell of my former self before all this happened. I don't have the rage anymore - that is the Abilify working, I guess that is better.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I take aripipazole I had rage and it helps, I have psychosis. I'm glad it helps you.
Hope you heal very soon.
Hugs

A

Againandagain

Hi,
I take aripipazole I had rage and it helps, I have psychosis. I'm glad it helps you.
Hope you heal very soon.
Hugs
Thank you, Mayflower7. All these diagnoses - blurred lines - PTSD, psychosis, Bipolar - I had both PTSD and psychosis and it all started after a sudden, abrupt break with drinking strong beer (it seemed like the depression was so linked to the alcohol over a couple of decades of beer for cheer). I am reluctant to accept the other diagnoses (Bipolar, Schizoeffective etc) as the episodes with psychosis only happened when I stopped drinking. Either way, I think the medication works for Bipolar and PTSD, so it doesn't really matter what the psychiatric name is, in this/my case. I have no need for anything else, like Lithium which the doctors were trying to push on me (really trying to push on me). Anyway, so far, so okay with Abilify on its own...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Need to understand my complex PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
carlita PTSD and emotional neglect Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 21
00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986) PTSD and anxiety discovery Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 53
P PTSD and abuse those who cared for you Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S PTSD I Didn't Know I Had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
Tawny Getter Better - PTSD and CPTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 14
T Trying to deal with a roommate that has PTSD and other issues. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
angel1982 prazosin for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
B Helping someone with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
K Can long term PTSD lead to psychosis/schizophrenia Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
J Could this be PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
Z Is this PTSD? Petty problem, but still.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
U is this PTSD? **** trigger warnings, abuse described **** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
P Is it PTSD, or something else? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
S Is this part of PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
O PTSD and blocking most events out Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S Support with Partner Who Seems to Be Struggling with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
fireandairo TW Ptsd emotional and drug abuse Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
K I have OCD and PTSD, a recent guy on the internet is triggering me to have bad panic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C How long does PTSD last? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
O PTSD and feeling “fake” or “dead”? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
M Feeling guilty for being diagnosed with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
lizard56 Do I have PTSD? Please help! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
9 PTSD Suffocating ***TRIGGER - Discusses abuse *** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
K Mind-Body Workbook for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
micas Do I have PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B PTSD because of traumatic psychiatric hospital experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 13
H Past relationship and ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
S Is this PTSD or just trauma? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S PTSD from emotionally abusive relationship...do I leave now things are getting better? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 26
B What is considered a traumatic event to be considered PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
P Told dont need ptsd, agoraphobia diagnosis because autism diagnosis. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 9
L Negative criticism PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B Depakine, olanzapine for ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
H PTSD involving Emergency contraception **Trigger warning - sexual assault Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
Jess96 Complex PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
M Is it worth it to file lawsuit for past bullying leading to PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 15
L Is PTSD related to a bad childhood and in result the reason for adult tantrums? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
M I have diagnosis ptsd. but my symptoms are auditory visual tactile an olfactory hallucinations, paranoia, mania, delusions and suicidal ideation. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
S PTSD from infidelity/lying Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
wraziel I hate my carreer PTSD???? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
D PTSD from a Bus accident I was in 10 years ago. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
B Have I really got PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
W Living alongside PTSD and EUPD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 0
J Ptsd after natural disaster Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1