alcohol abuse and Acamprosate

X

xolivia1684x

Can I ask if anyone has tried this medication for alcohol abuse. I'm seeing a support worker for my issue with alcohol and the Dr put me on Acamprosate

P

Pollypop

When I was in a treatment centre I had the choice of taking medication or not.

It was a very divided choice.

It was called “ANTABUSE” it’s other name was “DISULFIRAM”
It led to serious effects if even a small amount of alcohol was taken.

Someone I met in there decided to drink less than half a can.
He ended in hospital and was told it was only because he was young
and healthy that he survived.

I’m sorry I’ve gone a bit off topic as I don’t know anything about
Acamprosate,
But I would definitely check thoroughly before you do it.

I think the people you are seeing hovever would have given you
these details.

I really wish you a successful recovery.
You can pm me anytime if you want to.
Pollypop x

K

Kermit

Tried it

I was prescribed it before when I was struggling and it seems to work, you can drink on it but I found it took that crippling desire away. I want to go back on it as back drinking but need referal to alcohol councillor.

I'd recomeemd it

Take care

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

Can I ask if anyone has tried this medication for alcohol abuse. I'm seeing a support worker for my issue with alcohol and the Dr put me on Acamprosate
Not personally. When my mother was hospitalised, they put her on Nalmefene to stop the withdrawal complications. I'm not sure if this is the same sort of drug, but it was brilliant for her.

Good luck, anyway

P

Pollypop

In the first couple of weeks we were given Librium to help ease withdrawal symptoms.
Depending on how each person was recovering it was withdrawn slowly or continued.

On another situation someone who had become jaundiced was hospitalised, ORDDINARY WARD,
NOT MENTAL was given a tablet called hemaneverin.( not sure of the spelling)

I hope things are going well. X

N

Nas

Never tried a prescription, but weed worked for me. If I smoke I start feeling nauseated after drinking more just two beers.

M

megirl

I aren't an alcoholic do have an issue with alcohol abuse
I am on antabuse and a number of drank and felt quite unwell with me the pdoc thinks its another form of self harm
But anyway my last admission she put me on naltrexone wow like this just takes my urge to drink away like totally.I just dont have the urge nor the drive to want to drink at all. Its for me like a miracle drug its amazing it made such a difference. Anything is worth a try hope you get good results
Take care

S

Sazzie

I was given acamprosate but for me it did nothing.
I still felt the desire to drink and eventually did drink again.
It didn’t have any adverse effects like antibuse would.
I hope it works for you.
It’s so hard to get sober and I hope you have support. I used to take six tablets a day with meals.
They used to upset my stomach but never took away compulsion to drink, but I have heard success stories so give it a good go.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Can I ask a question , on this med is it down to the drinker to take it voluntarily. My ex years ago was prescribed a med to stop him drinking, was told it would make him violently sick if he tried drinking. But he never bothered taking it. If you are taking it voluntarily then you really must want to stop drinking and you have my praise

S

Sazzie

Hello Daffy
I was going to a centre and had to prove I was serious before they prescribed acamprosate .
This medication does not make you sick but is meant to take away the cravings.
It didn’t work for me but I know a lot of people who it has helped.
The medication that makes you sick is antibuse and this can kill if you drink on it and you even have to be aware of products that contain alcohol as this will react violently with the medication.
I believe that anyone who tries that must be genuine. The thing is alcohol is cunning and baffling and will try and entice you all of the time.
Look when you watch tv everyone is drinking , drink is everywhere and to some people it’s like a lover a toxic relationship.
I hope your friend beat his addiction. I managed for 3 years but sadly picked up again.
I’m trying hard to quit and this week doing ok.
I really want to quit .
It is terrible for my mental health and makes me do crazy things.
I love drinking but it hates me.
The answer to your question is the person really wants to stop.
X