Alarmed by my increase in drinking

J

JamesUniversal

I've drank too much for most of my life, but I do not want to stop completely as I would miss out. Therefore, I have a strict limit that I'm only allowed to drink one day of the week and that's it. apart from special occasions e.g. out with friends, birthday etc.

D

dewey

Only just read this.

Personally I think the fact you have spent many years without constantly relying on alcohol as a daily 'crutch' is a reassuring thing, it shows you know how to live without it. You were the passive party in helping past boyfriends with it, which shows you have not fitted into the role of the "alcoholic" in the past and could take your distance from drink despite being very involved with people who abused it.

I also am aware of the stresses you have been through this year like the stress of your late mother passing was massive, and also you have consistently be doing therapy, bringing up those old issues which can be de-stabilizing.

It might be that this counter intuitive thing with therapy where in having new realisations about yourself and your life you actually end up feeling more unstable before you feel better and it could be that alcohol is a way of dealing with the repressed feelings coming up and the anger that your life has been a certain way. Then maybe the alcohol helps put those feelings to bed. However, it could also just be the stresses of life. Job and mother passing etc.
In any case, I think it is good to be aware of what's going on.

Your stresses have been massive and you have done tremendously well with it all considering. What is concerning is the loneliness thing. If you do feel lonely then just post or message one of us as many of us feel lonely too, me included. Also it is not the same as real life interaction. I don't think you have a pet as I don't hear you speak of one but that might help. Or just getting out the house more? Please think of this as a passing phase

G

Girl interupted

No drinking tonight.

Only now I can’t sleep. :(

D

dewey

No drinking tonight.

Only now I can’t sleep. :(
How are you doing? Did you get to sleep in the end? I'm also crap at sleeping .
In general though I find drinking before bed makes me fall asleep but poor quality sleep, just leads to waking up.

G

Girl interupted

Oh I made it two days. :(

I suppose its ownership that I'm not lying.

I just get wonky if I dont sleep.

Imagine severe OCD. That's me with sleep.

Dewey thanks for what you said. It helps dampen the inner voice that mercilessly beats me up.

I'll get there. I hope.

D

dewey

Oh I made it two days. :(

I suppose its ownership that I'm not lying.

I just get wonky if I dont sleep.

Imagine severe OCD. That's me with sleep.

Dewey thanks for what you said. It helps dampen the inner voice that mercilessly beats me up.

I'll get there. I hope.
Sleep is so important. We really underestimate how important it is. It literally cleans out all the junk from your brain so you can start afresh the next day. Poor sleep leads to worse mental illness, and unfortunately dementia. So it's important you get that sleep.

It is ownership, which is important.
You will get there. Just be open with your therapist :grouphug:and with us :)

G

Girl interupted

Found a really neat trick to stop the drinking. Go outside.

Spent the evening taking photos at the beach for work. Forgot how much I enjoy taking photos.

L

Lunar Lady

Found a really neat trick to stop the drinking. Go outside.

Spent the evening taking photos at the beach for work. Forgot how much I enjoy taking photos.
Spent the evening on the beach too. It's been oppressively hot here, so we napped this afternoon and then spent the evening in deckchairs on the shoreline with a picnic supper.

Glad you've had a nice time out x