• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Ah, here was where I was meant to start...

C

CabbageMama

Hi. I’m Rachel, 41, in England and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 with rapid cycling and mixed episodes last year. A lot of the latter, feels like I haven’t been normal for absolutely ages. Since starting the medications, changing them etc, I have been in a depressed state, but with the added bonus of hypomanic insomnia and anxiety. Not really selling myself, I know, but here I am!

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi. I’m Rachel, 41, in England and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 with rapid cycling and mixed episodes last year. A lot of the latter, feels like I haven’t been normal for absolutely ages. Since starting the medications, changing them etc, I have been in a depressed state, but with the added bonus of hypomanic insomnia and anxiety. Not really selling myself, I know, but here I am!
i have type 2. if my environment is bad then i can become type 1. if its good then im more like type 3 (cyclothymia), which is where im at for the last 4 yrs or so. i dont mind it. i dont feel much emotion (for other reasons) so at least with cyclothymia i get to feel something. i used to like the highs but now after 15yrs im sick of them. i prefer the lows.

one light

one light

Hi welcome here... yes some meds can cause side effects - look up 'self healing energy' - there's keys in there to better health, good luck...

jajingna

jajingna

Welcome to the forum Rachel.

P

PrinceMishkin

Hi Rachel. My meds are causing side effects too as started them for depression but it's sent my anxiety sky high. I've been told it does get better and you have to hang in there with them. Good luck with them

C

CabbageMama

Thank you. At the moment, with the 3 medications I genuinely feel worse than I ever did before taking them. I have been off sick from work since just before Christmas and there is no chance I will be able to go back. So grateful to have my children, they are the only reason I am managing to scrape on and keep going.

P

PrinceMishkin

Hang in there. I have come through the most awful four weeks of side effects but it is getting better. Not sure how long you have been on yours or if you have just started but they do improve. Hopefully you'll get back to work soon.

C

CabbageMama

I started Quetiapine in May, but it didn’t agree with me. Tapered off that and on to Lamotrigine around August, that has been increased recently, had Pregabalin added at the start of December and Vortioxetine a few weeks ago. Obviously not feeling very rational at the moment, but seriously wondering if it is the medication making things worse.

one light

one light

I remember when I was on some strong meds 5 years ago I ''could watch'' the tv on in the night and it wasn't switched on... never right that....

I remember when I got 4 texts of my daughter one evening because I had text her earlier saying i'm not taking them anymore - that was all those years ago and my arms were covered with rashes - not anymore since looking up self healing energy / power of the mind online - no meds for me for several years now, and my skin is clean, and eyesight is better...

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum :welcome:

I'm 42 and I struggle with bipolar 2 with mixed episodes and rapid cycling to. I've found this forum to be very friendly and helpful. Hopefully it will for you as well. Take care and best wishes.

M

HLon99

HLon99

Hi Rachel, hope you're doing good. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder back in 2020 after struggling with my mental health for in excess of a year. I take Lamotrigine 200mg and Aripiprazole 5mg and they have worked fantastically. Lamotrigine takes a very long time to work (6-8weeks) but its probably one of the best bipolar meds out there. Virtually no side effects and long term stabilsation is very robust, for depression at least. You should not be taking Vortiloxetine if you have bipolar or any antidepressants for that manner as they can make you manic, with the exception of Fluoxetine/Olanzapine combo (Symbyax). For mania, you ought to add an antimanic stabiliser (e.g. Aripiprazole, Lithium). I have been almost completely stable since May 2020, so if there is anything you wish to ask feel free.

C

CabbageMama

Hi Rachel, hope you're doing good. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder back in 2020 after struggling with my mental health for in excess of a year. I take Lamotrigine 200mg and Aripiprazole 5mg and they have worked fantastically. Lamotrigine takes a very long time to work (6-8weeks) but its probably one of the best bipolar meds out there. Virtually no side effects and long term stabilsation is very robust, for depression at least. You should not be taking Vortiloxetine if you have bipolar or any antidepressants for that manner as they can make you manic, with the exception of Fluoxetine/Olanzapine combo (Symbyax). For mania, you ought to add an antimanic stabiliser (e.g. Aripiprazole, Lithium). I have been almost completely stable since May 2020, so if there is anything you wish to ask feel free.
Thank you HLon. The Consultant was aware of my not tolerating antidepressants before the diagnosis. He said it was not uncommon with bipolar. I did question him prescribing this a few weeks ago, given what he had said about antidepressants, but he said we should give it a try. And honestly, I was desperate, so agreed. I am certainly not anywhere near manic, at least.