• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Agoraphobics

Coreen

Coreen

I don't like to leave my house. I can do it, but it's very uncomfortable. And the more I stay at home, the harder it is to leave. I've been in my home for a month now. I'm not even sure my car will start. And I have a dental appointment today. I really don't want to go. Covid makes it worse. It puts even more fears into my mind.

E

ExistingAlone

Wow, just came back to read this thread. I won the battle to get drinks last week. Lost it this week, went with tap water only for 48 hours. Wasn't so bad.

Took advice from someone and ordered soda to be delivered, with milk, etc. Now I have enough supplies to stay inside for two or three weeks.
I'm jealous, as I live out in the middle of nowhere and there are no deliveries out by me. I can talk my son into running errands, etc. to get me necessities most of the time. The tap water out here is undrinkable (nasty, orange well water). We've gone weeks living on ramen noodles, mac and cheese, etc. because It takes me nearly 2 weeks to talk myself into going to the store at the least populated times. The idea of leaving my home makes me literally physically ill (fever, vomiting, etc.)

E

ExistingAlone

I don't like to leave my house. I can do it, but it's very uncomfortable. And the more I stay at home, the harder it is to leave. I've been in my home for a month now. I'm not even sure my car will start. And I have a dental appointment today. I really don't want to go. Covid makes it worse. It puts even more fears into my mind.
I desperately need to see a dentist and an eye doctor, but just the idea of having to call to make an appointment makes me physically ill, much less having to go and talk to someone/anyone about what I need, so my teeth are rotting and my eyesight is terrible.

H

huggableboat

Hi everyone, I have been housebound for 2 years now, I can go short distances from my house and I can sit outside but that's about the extent of my travel. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

I desperately need to see a dentist and an eye doctor, but just the idea of having to call to make an appointment makes me physically ill, much less having to go and talk to someone/anyone about what I need, so my teeth are rotting and my eyesight is terrible.
Hi I'm in the same boat. I need a dentist eye exam tests etc. I just can't get myself to do it.🤦

T

Twinkle Toes

My teeth are bad now. I had a tiny chip on the edge of one tooth years ago (like 2002/3) and that tooth completely gone and the one next to it cos they were overlapped , next tooth is less than half left. I brush teeth daily and use mouthwash but still it continued.

Dentists won't do home visits.

With hair I just let it grow long and just trim fringe and bottom myself (easy if you put it in ponytail first) so haven't been to hairdressers in years.

My problem is not so much with being outside but being in crowded places and unable to escape the 'sensory overload' I experience from it. So I am fine to take my dog for walk round rural village but use mobility scooter so I can get away quickly if anyone else comes. I go out quietest times of day and love it when clocks go back so I can get to a favourite place for sunrise to sit and watch the sun come up with no-one else about.

For me this satisfies any need to go out. I will go to family home where sibling still lives. I have to psych myself up to cope with a trip into the nearest city if I need the bank and family has to take me in wheelchair as I lose the ability to function if I get overwhelmed with too many things to think about. (I have autism too and severe sensory processing issues).

I've welcomed the pandemic cos it meant if I had to ring the bank (I use a minicom textphone so I only have to type my part and read it back) I can say I'm having to shield so can't physically get there andcosof the pandemic they've HAD TO find other ways to deal with issues when they had to close branches etc.

Although I'm terrified of actually catching covid cos that would mean having to deal with a load of people wrapped in full PPE with no way to understand them (I need visual feedback to understand what people are saying - ie lip-reading) so would rather eliminate ALL risk by having no contact with anyone than run the risk of having to declare I have symptoms of it if it was so bad I couldn't breathe.

So I did manage to get past the paranoia and go through with allowing an home visit from 2 nurses to give me the jab, as it was the 'lesser evil' (than having to hospitalised from it) though I'm still telling 'some people', I don't know if I can have the vaccine or don't know if it will work (due to immune system probems) to avoid their 'social expectations' returning to 'normal'!

I find I'm very avoidant too as I've hit menopause. I don't know if thats just cos itsamplifying my autism symptoms or I've developed Avoidant personality disorder on top from being agoraphobic for so many years.

Argon

Argon

I find it much easier to go outside after dark.

I

Inie

Any agoraphobics want to chat about our situation? Life in general. Help each other out with having to deal with it and what comes with it. Would be good to hear from someone who knows what it’s like. Give me a message.
I always have that fear something bad will happen (this feeling is all the time). It worsen when I leave my safe zone (home). I like to be out of the house but I don’t like the uncomfortable feelings I get. Some days are better than others. How do you guys manage?

V

Vampire333

I can relate. My eyes are getting worse and worse and wearing these glasses are giving me headaches. I can manage, but they need doing. Every time I start to feel ok in my head... I get reminded I need to do these things with going out and then I just feel dread and anxiety again. It’s horrible. Having to go into the place and speak to the people, go through the appointment etc is just a terrifying feeling. I feel stuck and I’m not able to sort it. Just horrible

V

Vampire333

I always have that fear something bad will happen (this feeling is all the time). It worsen when I leave my safe zone (home). I like to be out of the house but I don’t like the uncomfortable feelings I get. Some days are better than others. How do you guys manage?
I’d love to go outside and see nature, go for walks and just be at peace. It’s being around people I struggle with and my lack of confidence to do things on my own. Not being able to speak to people without having a panic attack. The anxiety I get from it is unbearable and I’ve learnt to stay away from it by not putting myself in those situations. Hiding away gets me away from that feeling. But obviously not leaving home at all isn’t a good way to go about it. There has been times when I’ve started to be able to go out for a little bit but I always end up coming back to square one and shutting myself off. I’ve been doing it for a long long time now. Summers coming as well which makes it harder. You hear people going out and just enjoying themselves while your stuck inside hiding. Can be rough. To all of you going through similar situations with agoraphobia. I wish you all the best. Keep positive. We aren’t alone.

V

Vampire333

I totally get you with the more you stay at home the harder it gets! It’s a bad cycle. Did you manage to go to the appointment? If you did. Well bloody done. Just thinking of going for an appointment makes me ill.

Argon

Argon

Same. Hope you are well Argon
I'm surviving. Thanks. Still tough times at work, but I'm not fired yet. More on topic I try to go out and be around people once in a while and stay acclimated to it. On the weekend I went to Walmart and looked around for an hour. I remember I used to wander around the mall.

S

sandy thorburn

Any agoraphobics want to chat about our situation? Life in general. Help each other out with having to deal with it and what comes with it. Would be good to hear from someone who knows what it’s like. Give me a message.
Hi Vampire, I am in de middle of raging anxiety because I’m away from home and cannot get back until Sunday. So I do know what it’s like. I’d like to hear from other people.

I

Inie

Hi Vampire, I am in de middle of raging anxiety because I’m away from home and cannot get back until Sunday. So I do know what it’s like. I’d like to hear from other people.
I feel the same way. I was 3 1/2 hours away from home and my anxiety was sky high. I like to be out but I don’t like how I feel when I’m out. I still get the anxiety when I’m home but it’s more manageable.