• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Agoraphobic, scared & suffering from Anxiety - Coping Strategies

B

Bradford_gal

I feel totally desperate. I have not been out of the house for weeks and whenever I do, I feel short of breath and faint. Can anybody relate with me? No one comes to visit me anymore except my Support Worker and I must be driving my boyfriend insane.

I am desperate to make a few friends that i can share and laugh with. I am looking to start university in September but right now, I couldn't think of anything more terrifying. The reason I am writing this is I need to know that I am not alone and I wondered if, from those suffering from the same thing, if there are any useful coping strategies I can try? I want to go to uni and have some techniques to try out so I will suceed. I will try anything!

Becky xx

sallyG

sallyG

hi Becky...i can totally relate to how your feeling...im the same...the way im coping with it at the moment is by attending relaxation therapy at my mental health unit.,,it was my first session today and it went well..though i was very anxious about leaving the house.I havent been out of the house alone in over two and a half years.Today not only did i manage to attend therapy but hubby also encouraged me to walk to our local Asda...although i didnt enjoy doing it..im pleased with myself that i did it...set yourself small tasks..such as walking to the end of your driveway/pathway..do that for a hiel and then gradually increase the distance....im full of good advice but rubbish at taking it so feel free to ignore all ive said..lol...hope that helps a little bit hun.x

B

Bradford_gal

hi Becky...i can totally relate to how your feeling...im the same...the way im coping with it at the moment is by attending relaxation therapy at my mental health unit.,,it was my first session today and it went well..though i was very anxious about leaving the house.I havent been out of the house alone in over two and a half years.Today not only did i manage to attend therapy but hubby also encouraged me to walk to our local Asda...although i didnt enjoy doing it..im pleased with myself that i did it...set yourself small tasks..such as walking to the end of your driveway/pathway..do that for a hiel and then gradually increase the distance....im full of good advice but rubbish at taking it so feel free to ignore all ive said..lol...hope that helps a little bit hun.x
Hi Sally,

Thank you so much for your advice. It helps just knowing that I am not alone.

Good luck with the Relaxation Therapy, you deserve to get your life back xx

MarcAntony

MarcAntony

You are not alone. I was in pretty bad shape my sophomore year of school. Remember, you are never stuck. Keep moving and keep living, no matter how hard it gets. This too shall pass.

G

gud2gab

Hello Becky

BELIEVE ME YOUR NOT ALONE BECKY, REALLY WELL DONE. ITS HARD MAKING THIS KIND OF STEP. WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS AND HAVING THE FORUM AND READING THE DIFFERENT POST LETS US KNOW THAT AND CAN MAKE YOU FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. ANOTHER WELL DONE FOR LOOKING TO THE FUTURE WITH UNI.

LYNNE X :clap:

B

Bradford_gal

You are not alone. I was in pretty bad shape my sophomore year of school. Remember, you are never stuck. Keep moving and keep living, no matter how hard it gets. This too shall pass.
Thanks for making me feel as though i can relate. I really appreciate your advise. good luck with everything. :)

B

Bradford_gal

BELIEVE ME YOUR NOT ALONE BECKY, REALLY WELL DONE. ITS HARD MAKING THIS KIND OF STEP. WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS AND HAVING THE FORUM AND READING THE DIFFERENT POST LETS US KNOW THAT AND CAN MAKE YOU FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. ANOTHER WELL DONE FOR LOOKING TO THE FUTURE WITH UNI.

LYNNE X :clap:
Thank you for your praise, I have actually been told that I have been accepted so I am so excited for the future. I will continue to read the posts as they are helpful.

Thanks again xx

M

madsheep

HEY
Congratulations!!
How are you getting on?
I too am hoping to go (back) to uni in september. So I know its nice to have something to look forward to, but hard to deal with the whole anxiety thing.
Hope you are well.
x x x

B

Bradford_gal

HEY
Congratulations!!
How are you getting on?
I too am hoping to go (back) to uni in september. So I know its nice to have something to look forward to, but hard to deal with the whole anxiety thing.
Hope you are well.
x x x
Hi,

I'm not doing too bad thanks, still syked after being accepted. I do want to have some coping strategies in place for September so I am not to overwhelmed and so I can leave the house again. What are you hoping to do at uni? Have you sent off your application?

Becky xx

S

starfish

uni

well done for getting in to uni. if you dont mind saying, what will you be studying?. if only i could turn the clock back and go to uni myself. but my whole life has been wrecked by mental health problems. my daughter is at uni and has used their councelling service to help with several problems, and she said they are great. good luck to you.

B

Bradford_gal

well done for getting in to uni. if you dont mind saying, what will you be studying?. if only i could turn the clock back and go to uni myself. but my whole life has been wrecked by mental health problems. my daughter is at uni and has used their councelling service to help with several problems, and she said they are great. good luck to you.
Hi, Thank you very much. I will be studying Midwifery. I am really looking forward to it but obviously I am nervous too. I never knew they had their own counselling service, I may use that. You could always study as a mature student. Thats what I am doing.

Becky

S

starfish

uni

you have chosen a lovely course which will give you much rewards. i trained in nursing and worked in maternity for a while and loved it. it made me feel all maternal, and went on to have a family of my own!:)