• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

agoraphobia

purplerose

purplerose

I would like to meet people who are agoraphobic,thank you.:confused:

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

I'm agoraphobic... I hate crowds and places I don't know.

I won't talk to strangers or even shop workers, my friends have to order and buy things for me. Though, slowly I'm getting better at it.

Emily.x

M

MissKayz-x

I think i might be getting agoraphobic. I havent been out properly in months exept little trips to tescos and oh the panic, i can barely walk into the shop from the car. Not very good around people either and def people i dont know.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I have Agoraphobia, too. Hello! :)

You wouldn't believe (well, maybe you would) the rituals and routines I've devised for myself to get things done outside on my own. ;)

sallyG

sallyG

theres a few of us that suffer with agoraphobia then. is anyone else housebound?,,,im virtually a hermit now...i only go out once a month to do my food shopping...the rest fo the time my kids or hubby go to the local asda for me..which helps me in one way but not in another as i think if i were forced to go out it may help me more in the long run.:unsure:

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I too am virtually a hermit!! I can leave the house after psyching myself up for hours but only if my husband is with me. I can't leave with any of my friends or with my daughter or the panic has me on the verge of passing out. I've been thinking lately that I use my hubby as too much of an emotional crutch but then I don't know how to stop that either:(

sallyG

sallyG

thats exactly what im like..i havent left my home on my own for years now..i always have to have someone with me..normally one of my kids..(they are 19 and 17). ..i feel such a burden to my family.:redface:

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Its horrible isn't it??!! My hubby works 6 days a week and we tend to get a drink on a Saturday night so he can't drive on a Sunday. The last time I left the house was 3 weeks ago to go with my hubby to Tesco for half an hour!! I spend all day pacing from room to room!! Living room, kitchen, daughters room, my room and so on and so forth!! Its not much of an existence!!

sallyG

sallyG

Its horrible isn't it??!! My hubby works 6 days a week and we tend to get a drink on a Saturday night so he can't drive on a Sunday. The last time I left the house was 3 weeks ago to go with my hubby to Tesco for half an hour!! I spend all day pacing from room to room!! Living room, kitchen, daughters room, my room and so on and so forth!! Its not much of an existence!!
i could have written that myself.I pace the house from room to room...and often stand at my bedroom window looking out just so that i can see other people going about their lives..i often get tearful doing that though because i wish i were like them..being able to just walk out the front door..it must be amazing. Im due to go out next tuesday to have my hair cut and im already dreading it.the last time i went out was two weeks ago and next week i have to go out twice ..not looking forward to it at all i just know i will have panic attacks....but will feel proud of myself for going out..How long have you suffered with agoraphobia?...mine has been 2 and a half years.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
It was 2 years in April - I had to give up my job, now I just feel useless!! Keep saying I'm going to do some sort of Open University course from home but never get round to it!! The school holidays aree the worst because if its raining and my daughter can't go out to play I just feel like the 4 walls are just slowly closing in on me. My psych keeps asking whats the worst that could happen but hes not got a clue about the feeling I get when I need to go out and the migraine I invariably have afterwards!!

sallyG

sallyG

awww poppet..you sound as though your in the exact same position as me and its rotten isnt it,.my psyciatrist doesnt really understand quite how bad i am because i play it down..i sort of mention that i dont like going out but thats it really. Im very isolated where i live and i keep myself to myself so i rarely see anyone other than my hubby and kids. even if i see my next door neighbour i never know what to talk about because i havent been anywhere or done anything thats of any interest because my life consists of my four walls.
I really do understand what your going through.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Its cack too because I used to be quite outgoing (in another life!!) now I've got nothing to say thats of any interest to anyone!! I live my life vicariously through the very few friends I still have, but still I've nothing to contribute to any conversation. As you say, its bloody rotten!! I can also say with some conviction that I really don't see an end to it. I don't mean that in any sort of maudlin way because I'm really not full of pity for myself. I have a brilliant husband and daughter and my hubbys family love me to bits but I still don't see me being able to go out any time in the near (or distant) future!!

sallyG

sallyG

i too was outgoing before this took a hold of me. Im hoping to get more help from the community mental health team who i was referred too three weeks ago but havent heard anything from since then. I have three friends who know i suffer who are really good with me.one of them at the moment is trying to get me to go to their house for dinner but i keep putting it off. maninly because i feel i have nothing to contribute. I try to not feel sorry for myself because i know there are people out there with a lot worse life than i have and i have an incredibly supportive hubby and kids so im very fortunate. But its still hard isnt it. Im sick of hiding away but too scared to go out..its a vicious circle.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Sally, I've pm'ed you so I've not completely overtaken this thread!! I hate looking all self-pitying!!