Agoraphobia

J

just me Amy

I am Amy i not been on here for a while, i have anxiety and Agoraphobia. I am still struggling to cope it feels like a struggle, and i have more down days than good, There is a lot of negative thinking going on with myself. some days i just cry it all feels too much, i am getting to point where my Agoraphobia has taken over my life i have had this a year and stay in every day. of course then i get depressed. I say to my self tommorrow i go on bus, or to the supermarket, etc the day arrives and i not go out, i feel like i am going around in circles Yes i been on medication in past for my anxiety but personally the side affects of medication made me feel even worse.

Victorianna

Victorianna

Hi, Amy. I am sorry that you are struggling with anxiety and agoraphobia. I do too, and I know how difficult it is.
You said you’ve tried medicine. Have you tried any kind of therapy? Is that something that would be available to you?
Do you have anyone who can be a support for you? I usually can’t go out by myself without having overwhelming panic, but I can go limited places if someone goes with me. Have you tried that?
Well, those are just a few suggestions. I think you will find support on these forums. Sometimes it helps just to know you’re not alone.

Valka

Valka

Hi Amy, I think Victorianna's advice of having someone who can support you in going outside is the best thing.
Maybe even starting with small things, such as if it's bin / trash collection the following morning. Try taking out the bin and putting it down the path. I know that sounds stupid, but I sometimes do that when I haven't been out for a long time.

I don't think I've been out anywhere this year yet. So I feel for you! :hug:

J

just me Amy

Thanks both of you for your reply. I do know I not only one going through this, I stay in my comfort zone. I think may go out for little walks. I've got to try.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

people say there's nothing to worry about when often there is, I went on a trip to Portsmouth & Southampton last week & had a really good time, when normally I wouldn't have because too scared of travelling being in a strange place, but I knew it's something I really had to do. I could've died if the coach crashed, or if the hotel I stayed in caught fire, but it didn't happen, but then again it can & does happen, so there's a paradox.

K

kayclay

Hi Amy! I also struggle with agoraphobia, but have been steadily progressing the last 6 months or so.

The one thing that has helped me the most is a "fear hierarchy". It's a process that retrains to brain to think logically about danger in any given situation.

In my specific situation, flying on an airplane is an absolute no-go. My husband LOVES to travel, and I really want to be able to travel with him. SO, my fear hierarchy looks like:

1. Think about being on an airplane. I do this as often as I can, until I don't get anxious thinking about airplanes anymore. Then I'm ready to move to the next step.
2. Talk about a place I'd like to travel to. Again, I do this as often as I can, until it doesn't make anxious talking about a place I want to travel. Then I move on to the next step.
3. Looking online at how much tickets to travel to that place cost. (This is where I am currently)
10. Take a trip to Spain with my husband.

The thing is, if thinking about going to the grocery store makes you anxious, then you're already anxious before you leave the house. If you can work through the hierarchy, it's much easier to manage the uneasiness and anxiety in any situation.

You can do this! Agoraphobia is an illness just like anything else, and you need to put in the proper amount of healing time and energy to recover - I believe in you!

J

just me Amy

Hi Amy! I also struggle with agoraphobia, but have been steadily progressing the last 6 months or so.

The one thing that has helped me the most is a "fear hierarchy". It's a process that retrains to brain to think logically about danger in any given situation.

In my specific situation, flying on an airplane is an absolute no-go. My husband LOVES to travel, and I really want to be able to travel with him. SO, my fear hierarchy looks like:

1. Think about being on an airplane. I do this as often as I can, until I don't get anxious thinking about airplanes anymore. Then I'm ready to move to the next step.
2. Talk about a place I'd like to travel to. Again, I do this as often as I can, until it doesn't make anxious talking about a place I want to travel. Then I move on to the next step.
3. Looking online at how much tickets to travel to that place cost. (This is where I am currently)

The thing is, if thinking about going to the grocery store makes you anxious, then you're already anxious before you leave the house. If you can work through the hierarchy, it's much easier to manage the uneasiness and anxiety in any situation.

You can do this! Agoraphobia is an illness just like anything else, and you need to put in the proper amount of healing time and energy to recover - I believe in you!

J

just me Amy

J

just me Amy

Thanks for your reply I do believe I get very anxious before even going out. I find if I do go out only a little way I not over think it I just go out front door it's not easy. I will try to go further and get to the supermarket. I will try.