• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Agoraphobia!!!!!!!!!!!

R

racheal222

I am sick, sick, sick of suffering from agoraphobia. Totally alone and the only way I can get out of the house is by drinking or taking diazepam. Had it....

C

coraline1664

-

:hug:

I know exactly how you feel. The front door is often somewhere I just can't get past. Needing food in the house doesn't help me get out either. Sometimes I end up going hungry for a day or two because I just don't feel able.
Have you thought about self help such as having a look through a CBT book or relaxation? Sometimes it takes the edge off and I can even walk outside without panic sometimes. Trying to take up some sort of self help like those things as a habit is really worth it I believe.

Liz x

R

racheal222

Hi Liz,

Thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated. Yes, tried CBT, relaxation etc, etc......although must admit it's certainly something I could do with getting into again. Had agoraphobia for 21 years combined with it's best friend depression! Think you get stuck in abit of a rut after a while, it's like running a marathon but with the mind, you get totally exhausted.

Racheal

The mind is a place in itself and in itself can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven...............

R

racheal222

Morning Liz,

Was so pleased to get a reply yesterday that I didn't comment on your plight, I'm sorry to hear that there are days when you can't get food etc, been there, it's awful. I developed the habit of drinking to enable me to get my grub and other essentials, absolutely fine provided you dont't become addicted to it which I have over the past 5 years or so. It's a bloody dreadful predicament to be stuck in, wish there was more help out there for people like us. Anyway, you take care and stay possitive. x

C

coraline1664

-

Hi it's ok the thread was about your agoraphobia, not my problems! I just wanted to remind you that you're not alone with it. :)

C

coraline1664

-

I feel better once I've had a drink or two, nothing matters and I can sail through everything. Or so it feels at the time. I am being careful not to go down that route though. I'm so sorry you've been suffering with agoraphobia and depression for so long, I can only imagine...
I'll be here to chat if you ever want to!

Liz

R

racheal222

Hi Liz,

Ah, sorry I assumed you also had agoraphobia. The symptoms you described seemed to be very simular to mine. Thanks for answereing me that was very kind of you. My doc said alcohol is a very useful form of self medication provided you don't abuse it which unfortunately I now have, now I have 2 problems! Lifes great isn't it, whoever thought life would turn into this muddled confusing mess. Oh to have a fresh possitive mind again. Oh well onwards and upwards................

C

coraline1664

-

I do suffer from agoraphobia, sorry I didn't make myself very clear. I just meant that the post was about you so you didn't have to worry about commenting on the things I said about myself. :)
On what your doctor said, I think if you are using alcohol to self medicate, then you will be addicted to it, because you feel you need it to help you do things in your everyday life. The boost of confidence it gives you would feel too good to ration. I don't know if that's how it is for you but I think that's how it's be for me. being a depressant it is likely to make you feel a lot lower too.
I really hope things get a bit easier- have you got people around to support you or just provide you with some company?

R

racheal222

Hi there Liz,

Alcohol makes me depressed because of my behaviour whilst drunk, if I could take that out of the equation then it possibly wouldnt depress me. As for do I have people around for company etc, not anymore. I 've effectively drunk myself friendless, I dont blame people because I certainly wouldnt put up with someone like me. How about yourself, do you have people to help?

C

coraline1664

-

I have my partner who I started seeing about 2 and a half years ago when I was having a better period- I could go out and be around people, without that period I wouldn't have met him. Apart from that I have no-one anymore but it's not my friends' faults, I just withdrew. They'd welcome my company again anytime but I'd feel like I was dropped in the deep end going straight back to seeing them again. And i never really liked talking to them about my issues because, well it's not a fun friendship building topic I guess. And if I started talking about it I'd probably never stop. some friendships just aren't quite like that, but I don't mean they weren't good friends. So the only person I see is my partner really, and we don't talk about it too much because he's said so much already and it getss to a point where he can say no more, he still loves me and wants me to feel better though.

I'm sorry you feel like this it must be so hard when drink helps you go out but not with anything else. Are there changes that you want to make? Would you want to give up drinking so you are able to work on things with therapy?

It's definitely possible to nurse ourselves to a stage where we can cope better I think, we just have to know well what routes we are going to take, and that we will jump back on the path everytime we fall off it. Management of the condition would be so worth it. :)