Agoraphobia - has anyone ever just stuck it out ?

B

BrankyPrandy

Can’t travel more than like half a mile from my home in a car because I don’t feel safe and further away from my home than that because I can’t just run straight home if I panic :(

Has anyone ever just gone along and fought through the feared situation? What happened? Does the anxiety just go away in the end?

F

Fancyharm

I recovered from agoraphobia after losing an eye at 14. I have made a full recovery. I have flown on my own more than once etc.

I have found that 're wiring' is the key. The book panicking about panic is very good, from Amazon. I have suffered from some anxiety lately but my counsellor assures me it is just a temporary blip. I have been 're wiring' using the book and it is working.

You need tools to get over agoraphobia, relaxation is also necessary. Also acceptance is the key, you have to plan and take small steps. You have to accept that you will need to get over this in stages.

K

Kilty55

I have been seeing a therapist for over 2 years for the same issue. I have come a long way with it but still need to do more. My quality of life has improved greatly. I did exposure therapy and cbt..the exposure therapy makes you do what your trying to avoid and each time you go further from home you gain strength and the anxiety becomes weaker.
It has taken me longer than i expected but i am in a far better place but i still need to acheive more.

Find a starting point ....travel to it without turning back ...do not stop or turn back whilst having anxiety attack is a key factor just ride through it and use techniques to help you. Make your destination further each time.

Last edited:
Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Had my first mini panic attack, not leaving the house but going somewhere with loads of people is that the same thing ?