• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Agoraphobia covid - 19

anxietyB

anxietyB

I am getting help for Agoraphobia, I was struggling before this pandemic begun. Public transport was a nightmare as the bus got busier the more and more anxious I become, I would even get off bus walk rest.
Busy shops, supermarket all that I can't do at moment. I feel I'm in lockdown still, when UK was in lockdown it made no difference to me. as feel stuck daily I stay home, I feel a prisoner, and feel like I'm going crazy. Yes i could go for a walk it's not easy. Anyone got any tips would be appreciated.

F

F242

Hi. I started suffering from social anxiety and agoraphobia last year. I know it's not easy and I can feel your pain, even for me getting out of my house to get to a supermarket or taking out my dog seemed like the hardest thing in the world.
What helped me, especially after this virus situation, was to go out with someone who could talk to me and keep me "busy" from my thoughts. It was obviously not that easy because I eventually had anxiety attacks even with someone next to me, but it got better with time. I suggest you to bring with you a bottle of cold water if that can help, put that on your wrists and drink some if you need to. That calmes down my nerves and gets me concentrated on the present and what I'm doing. When I went on a train, I always made sure to bring a lot of water with me, vitamins and candy. It can sound a bit funny but candy made me feel better and convinced my brain that I wouldnt pass out. Also I made sure to take my magnesium before going out.
You have to work on it step by step. I was convinced that going out once would make me feel good and that I would not struggle with anxiety or the fear of being in a crowded place. Take your time and do things slowly. Start going out and if you feel sick, go home. I suggest you to write on a journal and write down your feelings, your physical symptoms and how long you went out. Try to stay out of your house longer everyday and keep on track with your diary, I'm sure it can help you a bit more.
I'm sorry if you feel like that, I truly understand what it feels like. Also, sorry for my English. Hope to hear from you.

anxietyB

anxietyB

Hi. I started suffering from social anxiety and agoraphobia last year. I know it's not easy and I can feel your pain, even for me getting out of my house to get to a supermarket or taking out my dog seemed like the hardest thing in the world.
What helped me, especially after this virus situation, was to go out with someone who could talk to me and keep me "busy" from my thoughts. It was obviously not that easy because I eventually had anxiety attacks even with someone next to me, but it got better with time. I suggest you to bring with you a bottle of cold water if that can help, put that on your wrists and drink some if you need to. That calmes down my nerves and gets me concentrated on the present and what I'm doing. When I went on a train, I always made sure to bring a lot of water with me, vitamins and candy. It can sound a bit funny but candy made me feel better and convinced my brain that I wouldnt pass out. Also I made sure to take my magnesium before going out.
You have to work on it step by step. I was convinced that going out once would make me feel good and that I would not struggle with anxiety or the fear of being in a crowded place. Take your time and do things slowly. Start going out and if you feel sick, go home. I suggest you to write on a journal and write down your feelings, your physical symptoms and how long you went out. Try to stay out of your house longer everyday and keep on track with your diary, I'm sure it can help you a bit more.
I'm sorry if you feel like that, I truly understand what it feels like. Also, sorry for my English. Hope to hear from you.

anxietyB

anxietyB

Thanks for your reply, I know it's not easy and it's all about little steps, I need little more determination and motivation and hopefully I can make some progress.

T

Twinkle Toes

I'm staying self isolating. I do take my dog out but luckily I live rurally so if I go out really early morning to the remote spots there's never anyone else about, so dog gets a good run I get some fresh air somewhere with no (or little) risk of running into anyone else. I wear a bandana on neck then just in case another dog walker or runner has to pass closer than I'd like I can just pull it up over mouth and nose briefly.

Otherwise I've had no contact with anyone since before lockdown, no-one comes in house and I get everything delivered and left outside. Note on door 'Shielding: no Visitors or workmen. Leave parcels here'

I'm enjoying the peace but have autism and severe social anxiety so don't mind living like a complete hermit!