• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Agoraphobia-Bowel control

L

Lou17

Hi Im new to this forum. I doubt that anyone will have the same problems as me, but I thought I'd ask anyway guys, just to see if anyone can give me a few pointers. Its a tad embarrassing but my problem started when I was about 16, I read a leaflet in a precription box that I had picked up from the doctors and It said that the side effects could be diarrhea. I was anxious about going out that night because of this and all night I was paranoid that I needed the toilet, so I was back and forth. Since then it gradually became worse, and I was continually thinking that I needed the toilet and if there wasnt one close I would have an accident. I then bagan avoiding going out in fear of this happening to me, its been 6 years now and when ever i attempt to do anything I have to go to the bathroom immediately, like my body physically forces itself to go because of the panic and then I start to have a panic attack.I cannot go anywhere at all because of this. I try telling myself that I dont need it but it only increases these feelings.:cry: Has anybody experienced anything similar with panic and the bowels? If not thats okay, thanks for your time anyway...Liz:flowers:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
hi and welcome to the forum:welcome:. What i think has happened here is classic psychosomatic. Youve read the leaflet as you should but for some reason the part about your bowels has impacted you. These are only guidelines but now you have an irrational fear alongside these pills. You imply that youve never had any major problems whilst out, so all i can suggest is that you learn some relaxation techniques and maybe mention it to your gp next time you go. There may be something else he can put you on

good luck

D

Dollit

Can I just add that I do get diarrhea as a side effect to a medication I take and I have been in a bit of a spot on occasion but the sphincter is an extremely powerful muscle and will very rarely let you down! Never has with me. Plus I now have the advantage of knowing every public loo in town.

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Every tablet has a side effects leaflet and having a case of the "Captain Trips" is probably on everyone of them. It's just the pharmaceutical company's covering themselves, it doesn't mean you are definately going to get what side effects are on the box. On a side note, some years ago just to explain how the mind can work, there I was sitting on the loo reading the medical page in the paper and it was all about what could go wrong with the digestive system. I spent around two years mithering and worrying what my poo looked like, true!!! Over it now thankfully but as they say s**t happens!!

connect

connect

Admin
Hi Lou :welcome:, have you ever actually had an "accident" during a panic attack, or is it just the fear that you *might* have one? This might sound like an odd suggestion, but you could try adult nappies (for an example, see here: http://shop.bupa.co.uk/independence_aids/c1797-1.html) and instead of going to the toilet next time you feel anxious at home, see what happens if you don't go to the toilet. It would be useful to keep a diary of panic attacks, where you record where and when the panic attack happened, what triggered it, what thoughts were running through your head just before and while you panicked, and what *actually* happened (i.e. did the things you feared come true). I don't know how feasible it is to wear these all the time on the off-chance that you might panic, but maybe you have a good idea when to expect a panic attack and could put them on beforehand.

Have you received any help from psychologists or similar with your difficulties? I'm not the best person to ask about accessing services, but a lot of our members and moderators seem very knowledgeable in this area :).

Best of luck :grouphug:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I know someone who has had similar problems; he has had various medical investigations which have shown up nothing (in his case it started with a urine infection so not quite the same but similar). He is now seeing a psychologist but so far it has not helped greatly, but he does try very hard to do the things he would normally do. I think relaxation techniques could help but I think it is a very difficult thing to control. Have you spoken to your GP? A good first step probably. Good luck.