• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Agoraphobia as Specific Phobia?!

O

ozio

Hi to everyone. I am a psychology student and also had some mental health issues myself. But I am not suffering from Agoraphobia. I just wanted to ask the following question because I got into a discussion with a professor at my University about the subject. I am aware of the criteria of Agoraphobia but I was wondering if there are people who do suffer from Agoraphobia as a specif phobia. So the object of fear would be the wide space, open places itself and not the expected Panic Attac / embarrassment without the possibility to flee. So to say the opposite of Claustrophobia. The fear of being exposed, helpless because of the open Space itself. Anyone who could relate to that? I am happy about your answers! Thanks in advance.

V

Vampire333

I have agoraphobia. I don’t know wether this relates but I went through a stage of being terrified of looking up to the sky. I’ve been housebound for years on and off and I went out by the door at night once, looked up to the sky, and the realisation that I was looking miles and miles into space absolutely terrified me! It was the worse feeling I’ve ever felt. It was like I realised reality all over again. That we are just on this rock in infinite space. I know we all know that already, but it was like a TRUE realisation of it. Basically a hard bad trip, but sober. Since then I’ve learnt to actually love that feeling. And I see the world in a very different way now. The beauty of where we find ourselves as humans etc. It took me a long time though to get over it.

I don’t leave the house at the moment but if I did, I don’t think I’d be worrying about it (open spaces/sky) more about meeting people, anxiety/panic attacks etc. I could fall into that thought of thinking again though but I’ve learnt not to. And I hope I don’t ever go back to it. Truly terrifying.

O

ozio

Thank you very much! This might be something I meant. Could you specify a little bit more if being terrified of looking up to the sky was before the panic attacks occurred in your life or after? Even though I never had this particular fear you described I think everyone, including me, can empathize with it. It might be similar to the fear some people have of swimming in open water. You said you don't leave the house at the moment due to the expectancy of anxiety/panic attacks - which sounds more like the "classic agoraphobia".

V

Vampire333

Thank you very much! This might be something I meant. Could you specify a little bit more if being terrified of looking up to the sky was before the panic attacks occurred in your life or after? Even though I never had this particular fear you described I think everyone, including me, can empathize with it. It might be similar to the fear some people have of swimming in open water. You said you don't leave the house at the moment due to the expectancy of anxiety/panic attacks - which sounds more like the "classic agoraphobia".
It’s was after. A good few years into living with agoraphobia. Looking at four walls and a ceiling, day in and day out, kind of makes the outside and spaces overwhelming I guess!