• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Agoraphobia and struggling with it, I feel stuck and is there anyone out there that can help me

H

Hlfpint

Agoraphobia and struggling with it, I feel stuck and is there anyone out there that can help me

Hi

I've lived with Agoraphobia since I'm 13 and I'm now 43.
I've tried many medications like Paxil for 18 years, then Effexor then Cyraquil and now I'm on Cymbalta.
I'm not Depressed it's panic attacks that need to be controlled and the medications do help but I still need more help with this and maybe someone can reach out and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I've worked before years ago and I have been house bound, and I know that trauma can bring it back and this is my third time dealing with this, is there anyone out there that is taking other medications that I can research and tell my Doctor, I'm desperate and I thank-you sincerly for taking the time to read this.

I'm a great listener and if your struggling with the same thing and your new to this, My Experieces can help you for sure.
Thanks again Hlfpint

C

confined

I suffered from IBS for as long as i can remember. At the age of 30 i woke up with a panic attack and have been suffering with anxiety off and on since then. I am 42 years old and have recently been more anxious and panicky leaving the house. I have a hard time taking my kids to school in the morning. I've been on several meds over the years. Celexa has worked the best until recently. I also take 1mg of xanax as needed (however I've built up a tolerance and have been having to take more). My doctor recently put me on Seroquel, which is a bipolar med, but has been proven to help anxiety. I've only been on it for 3 days so i'm still waiting to see if it helps. I feel slightly calmer but not 100%. I feel discouraged at times. I see a therapist once a week and am looking to join a group therapy. I suffer with traveling far distances from home. It's very difficult to take a family vacation.

Hopefully you can relate :)

H

Hlfpint

Hi

Thanks for replying and I know the suffering part, I've had or should I say we have been through so much.
the New Meds that you are on it can actually take up to 4 months in some systems since we are all different but I'm sure you know that.

When you go out and bring your kids to school or do stuff, there's one thing I've learned and it's this, we don't want to relive places that we've panicked and that's the thing we have to break and I know it's hard but the tricks that's I've done and is to keep your mind busy with let's say a magasine and focus on a picture or read something cause you know that when you panic it reaches a peek then it always goes down, and the best thing is to not feed your panic attacks and what I mean with this is that if you already know , is that when it happens you focus on something and I know the feeling all to well and it's not gonna take you long when you put it in practice, cause I know about the out of body exp almost like your there watching yourself and if you haven't had that happen good for lol cause its not something that is pleasent. I'm glad that you opened yourself up and I'll talk to my Doctor about the meds you've mentioned and I will go see a therapist and pls do the same thing cause what we are going through they know so much about this and these are the ppl to talk to cause they are wonderful, and one thing I want you to know , is that your not crazy your not stupid your not loosing your mind, it's a chemical embalance and I've been told this once, it's at the base of your neck like this .......>>> your neck ) .A . B ( point A is suppose to connect with Point B like electricity and that's with other's that don't suffer from this are normal and can handle going to work and travel with no problems but with us that's why we need medication because it fills that of what we lack of. I'm not sure if you knew that and that's why you need to talk to someone that has studied for years to help us coping with it and they have and know all the medications out there for what we have. I'm sorry if this is long, but I jsut wanted you to know that what your going through is fully normal until you find the right medication and do keep on taking the meds your on now and no worries and be patient with yourself. I hope I've help and we can encourage each other and be strong, I have a wonderful family and husband that truly understands what this is and as my dad always told me , Baby steps always baby steps and never try to shoot for the moon cause you need to work with your limits and forget about what other ppl think................I hope and I'm wishing you well and my point to this is that if you have no one in your life that has a problem understanding I"m always here and I support you fully. I know how hard it is to live with and making and taking new steps can be difficult so pls keep me in mind cause I'd love to help you more and also never smoke , eat chocolate, drink caffeine like coffee pop when your panicking caue omg does it sky rocket lol trust me been there done that. anyways I've written enough for now and sorry again for this being so long lol

L

littledogs

I have similar thing. but dont like medication. I am afraid toi be anywhere I may be trapped, including my own home, Im having a very bad terrifying time coz its snowing and my house is on a high hill, with a valley underneath. Im scared tht road will be impassable and I cant escape from the village out onto the main road, I have mobility problems and need use of car all the time, I sleep in the hospital casualty area or a hotel rather than face my house in the snow, I want to move but its council and cant find a homeswap, council wont move me, my partner is ready to leave me, because tonight I run away from home to sleep on my abusive families sofa, rather than stay in the house with my partner.
im scared of being ill and being trapped, it happened once that gritters didn t arrive in time and the village got snowed in 3 days, I keep thinking... suppose I need an ambulance? and it cant get to the village... I cant cope and feelsuicideal because my partner wants to go, and I cant sleep for worry about this awful snow and being trapped in it,

H

Hlfpint

Hi and thanks for your reply

I want to tell you that I know the feeling of being scared and the thing is that you do need help and being suicidal is never ever the thing to do and tell your partner that you need help with this and you need medication cause you are sick with an illness and it sounds to me that you are Claustaphobic more then anything else cause you feel trapped and you can leave the house and go places. If I were you I'd go and see a Therapist cause he or she is really going to help you with this because they are trained pro's. they will help you and you need to talk about it and your partner needs to understands you cause if she or he loves you and remind them of that and that they are making it worse, they need to understand that and if not we are here that we know how it is and so would a therapist and trust me, you are not alone with this. Is it just the snow that makes you feel that way ?

I"m always here to listen and so is everyone else in this forum cause we may not have the same illness but we sure do understand living with it and give advice and support