• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Age MH problems appear?

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
At what age do MH problems appear?

I am aware that this varies but I would like to see as many responses as possible to see if there is a pattern. I often hear that the person started to experience problems in the late teens/early twenties, but I wonder how common this is and what it might mean.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

When I look back mine started at about age 8 which is about the furthest I can get back to in my child hood we actually lived over the road from a n mental instute I dont know if that has any bearing but I didnt feel about those people like most people used to call them for mad n called it the work house they would walk up n down the road evreyday in their sleepers n pj's with the fag hanging out their mouths not always smoking it just puffing it was so sad, it was a very dark time in my life n we had an attatic n it was painted black such a horriable place n we didnt even have a bath n hot running water n the toilet was out side n we had to use newspaper for toilet paper n for christmas we had a an apple n a orange n a few nuts not writing this because I feel sorry for myself but thats how poor we were n that was the start I had in life.I dont have no education because I didnt have the capacity in my head to learn because I find it hard to store information but I did well in employment whilst I could work n achieved buying my own restaurant at the age of 26 but then got poorly physically which I believe has a result of having tried to deal with all the mh stuff for so long by myself

A

Apotheosis

Personally with me I think that things stem back to before I was born (in the womb), & maybe even beyond that into past life stuff. I used to think the difficulties with the MH stuff started with a section at 17 - but there was anxieties & fears that played a part in things before then. I remember being around 8 too, & getting very panicked for no apparent reason at school - & running away in terror. I used to get odd visual disturbances as well as a kid. There was trauma very early on; that's what I put things down to.

A

Ainsworth

my depression at that age (i say that age as its when i noticed it) was caused by my childhood. so things were never right but by the time of 12/13 i started doing things to help me deal with it, so bad behaviour started.

though did have the 'voices' speaking to me alot earlier then that.

i did a therapy thing one time, it was a regression thing, dont know how it worked or understood it properly but you were taken back to a place in time where you didnt have any problems and you felt safe. i ended up back before birth. i found that quite strange :unsure:

A

Ainsworth

no i have never heard of him

some of those quotes are amazing

We are not here by accident or by some coincidence of nature.
this one got to me, as i have always thought there must be a reason why i live this life and still remain in it.

always believed i should never of been born in the first place

i think i will find this stuff very interesting, thankyou

A

Ainsworth

i watched the link, wow

i need to watch the 4 others now

thanks

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jajingna By age 40 about half the population will have or have had a mental illness. Mental Health Experiences 35
dermild Re-Inventing Yourself After Age 50 Mental Health Experiences 13
rookie2012 Imaginary friend or more? At my age? Mental Health Experiences 7
cpuusage The age of loneliness is killing us Mental Health Experiences 12
C Trauma and shock in middle age? Mental Health Experiences 10
M Worse with age? Mental Health Experiences 10
R My brother age is 43 but mind is not growing with age Mental Health Experiences 2
S Mental problems hindering me at every level Mental Health Experiences 9
jajingna Why do people deny mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 15
J Need some help... problems at home Mental Health Experiences 4
B help with problems ? ♡ Mental Health Experiences 4
P I don't know where to post this. Dealing with multiple problems at the same time. Mental Health Experiences 2
M Family problems - split with mum causing deep anxiety Mental Health Experiences 2
V Parent problems Mental Health Experiences 3
S What it's like when everyone in the house has mental problems Mental Health Experiences 4
T Are sleep problems related to mental problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel depressed. My mental problems are stopping me from living Mental Health Experiences 1
J Telepathy problems Mental Health Experiences 21
jajingna Do most people have mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 13
H dont tell my friends about my problems Mental Health Experiences 4
jajingna The invisibility of our problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel like shit even though i don't have real problems Mental Health Experiences 22
Mr Oreo Bunny Are mental health problems related to other things?? Mental Health Experiences 2
Mr Oreo Bunny Everyone else has such real problems Mental Health Experiences 5
D More family problems... Mental Health Experiences 1
A Problems with my mindset Mental Health Experiences 5
W Why do people get mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 20
silentEden 19 years old and memory problems Mental Health Experiences 6
O Struggling to cope with mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 4
J I feel like my problems are being minimized by my doctors... Mental Health Experiences 4
Iuris Problems with adulting Mental Health Experiences 2
D Family Problems - Not sure where to post. Mental Health Experiences 4
D Libido problems in men Mental Health Experiences 2
D Mental Problems, Men 25 years old. Mental Health Experiences 4
D Traumatised by my own mental health problems or just social anxiety. Am I t Mental Health Experiences 4
S Interacting with family members who dislike people with mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 23
H Abuse anxiolitics, severe cognitive problems Mental Health Experiences 1
B How do you even date with Mental Health problems? Mental Health Experiences 11
I Are my problems serious enough to take care of them? Mental Health Experiences 3
Solitude1 Thinking Problems Mental Health Experiences 5
R My mental problems please advise me? Mental Health Experiences 8
M Heartbreak problems Mental Health Experiences 5
N Life problems Mental Health Experiences 4
M More problems Mental Health Experiences 3
B Too many problems and no one to tell them about.. Mental Health Experiences 7
F Problems with abusive girlfriend Mental Health Experiences 14
G Neighbour with anger problems - need advice Mental Health Experiences 3
M Advice needed Neighbour problems ,highlighted usefull advice incuded in this post Mental Health Experiences 2
S Family problems (trigger warning) Mental Health Experiences 12
Solitude1 Depression/Anxiety, Ridiculous Problems... Mental Health Experiences 3