• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Age MH problems appear?

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
At what age do MH problems appear?

I am aware that this varies but I would like to see as many responses as possible to see if there is a pattern. I often hear that the person started to experience problems in the late teens/early twenties, but I wonder how common this is and what it might mean.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

When I look back mine started at about age 8 which is about the furthest I can get back to in my child hood we actually lived over the road from a n mental instute I dont know if that has any bearing but I didnt feel about those people like most people used to call them for mad n called it the work house they would walk up n down the road evreyday in their sleepers n pj's with the fag hanging out their mouths not always smoking it just puffing it was so sad, it was a very dark time in my life n we had an attatic n it was painted black such a horriable place n we didnt even have a bath n hot running water n the toilet was out side n we had to use newspaper for toilet paper n for christmas we had a an apple n a orange n a few nuts not writing this because I feel sorry for myself but thats how poor we were n that was the start I had in life.I dont have no education because I didnt have the capacity in my head to learn because I find it hard to store information but I did well in employment whilst I could work n achieved buying my own restaurant at the age of 26 but then got poorly physically which I believe has a result of having tried to deal with all the mh stuff for so long by myself

A

Apotheosis

Personally with me I think that things stem back to before I was born (in the womb), & maybe even beyond that into past life stuff. I used to think the difficulties with the MH stuff started with a section at 17 - but there was anxieties & fears that played a part in things before then. I remember being around 8 too, & getting very panicked for no apparent reason at school - & running away in terror. I used to get odd visual disturbances as well as a kid. There was trauma very early on; that's what I put things down to.

A

Ainsworth

my depression at that age (i say that age as its when i noticed it) was caused by my childhood. so things were never right but by the time of 12/13 i started doing things to help me deal with it, so bad behaviour started.

though did have the 'voices' speaking to me alot earlier then that.

i did a therapy thing one time, it was a regression thing, dont know how it worked or understood it properly but you were taken back to a place in time where you didnt have any problems and you felt safe. i ended up back before birth. i found that quite strange :unsure:

A

Ainsworth

no i have never heard of him

some of those quotes are amazing

We are not here by accident or by some coincidence of nature.
this one got to me, as i have always thought there must be a reason why i live this life and still remain in it.

always believed i should never of been born in the first place

i think i will find this stuff very interesting, thankyou

A

Ainsworth

i watched the link, wow

i need to watch the 4 others now

thanks