• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

After much debating with myself... Im coming off meds this year.

B

biggerdandy

So I went to the doctors this week, and asked to come off my meds. They told me I have to wait a few more months of being stable to come off, but I know in my heart now that I can and I will. I've gotten to a place since graduation that all the shit from my ex, my family, being in the closet and being lonely are gone. It's all helped make me more focused on my goals now, and I'm now stronger than I've been in a lot of ways.

I've been quite happy overall even when there's problems. In my job, I have to deal with a lot of people and I've basically ended up training myself and learning how to deal with difficult people more. I've been using motivational speakers, regular goal setting, exercise, the discipline I've picked up from martial arts and a much stricter diet to help my health as much as I can. It's taken a lot of effort socially too. Ive had to cut negative people who i thought were good friends out of my life for good, and forgiveness has been hard in some ways, but there's much more potential for growth besides this.

Ive realized that in the end, my heart is in the right place mostly and I try, so things will get better and I can always get back up and try again.

So Im hoping to be weaning the doses down in a few months, and off by the end of the year.

C

Coast2

Hi Biggerdandy,

Congratulations on your recovery. You've done fantastically well and it sounds like you've grafted really hard to get to a place where it's a realistic and sensible goal to come off the drugs.

It's lovely to read such a positive post of success and sadly it is rare on here.

My very best wishes

Coast

S

saynow

IT was said too long ago <get the help to do anything by silence and dont tell anybody >
that mean if you feel good dont tell anybody
but you told us no problem anyway
anyway glad you feel better
only thing i want you to do and all other people here is not to forget us
people psychologically ill
and we always remember you

Kerome

Kerome

That sounds really good Biggerdandy, as if you've been taking some real strides! Don't forget it's not a sprint but a marathon though, you have to pace yourself. But I really like what you are doing.

M

maximus88

Very inspiring. You can absolutely do it and definitely follow the doctors recommendations for slowly weening yourself off of the meds. Brain chemistry is very easy to throw off. I mean even switching diet can cause problems. Best of luck. You're doing the right thing. Plus meds are expensive.

D

Dandaman

Wonderful stuff! It sounds like you've most definitely got yourself to a good place. :D