After having experienced two armed bank robberies, lots of school bullying and a ton of other unpleasant situations, could it be PTSD that hit me?

L

LovelyBones

After having experienced two armed bank robberies, lots of school bullying and a ton of other unpleasant situations, could it be PTSD that hit me?

The obvious answer might be yes but I am not 100% certain. The symptoms are including but not limited to dysphoria, extreme stress, difficulty in swallowing and breathing (rarely) and a couple of panic attacks.... :unsure::unsure:

burt tomato

burt tomato

:welcome: LovelyBones.

It is not my field of knowledge, but glad you looking for answers.

L

LovelyBones

Hi there.Sorry for everything you have been through.Of course nobody here can diagnose you,only a professional can.

Are you considering seeing a professional for a dx and treatment?It's a good idea to.
Actually I did see a top psychiatrist... His diagnosis was not PTSD though. If I remember well, it was related to high stress and depression. However, I am open to more opinions from actual patients rather than pros.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I have a PTSD diagnosis.

Anything I can help you with?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

And are you experiencing the common PTSD symptoms like flasbacks,hypervigilance,nightmares,etc?

L

LovelyBones

And are you experiencing the common PTSD symptoms like flasbacks,hypervigilance,nightmares,etc?
Flashbacks and hypervigilance yes. Not nightmares though... Can you help? What kind of symptoms do you get?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

First I want to say that self diagnosis is really not ideal,especially PTSD.If you feel the psychiatrist was wrong I suggest you seek out another professional for a second opinion.But also keep in mind that not everyone that experiences trauma automatically gets PTSD.You could have a different illness so it's always best to see someone.

My symptoms vary,depending on what past trauma has been triggered.I'm not even sure how to explain or what examples to give right now.Not everyone experiences the same symptoms either.My husband also has it but he doesn't have the extreme startle response like I do.His PTSD manifests 100% differently than mine when he's been triggered.

What are you wanting help with?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :hi:
I think it might be worth getting a second opinion from another doctor.
I'm not professionally trained but it does sound like you could have PTSD.

Of course, they may also think you have a more 'complex PTSD' which isn't really acknowledged here in the UK. Usually people are given a diagnosis of emotionally unstable personality disorder instead.

Anyway, regardless of the diagnosis, I hope that you're getting some help with what you're going through. :hug1: