After 40 Years, Finally Got Diagnosed. What the Hell Do I Do Now???

N

NorasDad

Hi All,

My new medicine has made me feel like a new person. My diagnosis has made sense of decades of confusion and therapy that went and didn't help me understand myself very much.

Then my doctor makes an observation, I agree to go to yet another psychiatrist, he gives me a questionnaire and BOOM!

Hey my friend, you've got quite bad OCD and before you started taking your meds you had SEVERE OCD. No question. Score on the questionnaire is unmistakable.

Huh?

Ok, I'll take some more pills.

Wow! I feel totally different.

Ok, I better get off these benzodiazapines.

Help! I'm in hell!

6 weeks pass and I only land in jail once! :) (I wish I was kidding, but benzo withdrawal turned me into a rage maniac. Nobody was hurt, charges were dropped, I haven't gotten into a rage since.)

Now I'm surveying the wreckage of a life with OCD, feeling so much better, SO SO different! I realize now how my entire life was structured by obsessions, all day, every day, since I was a kid.

BTW, do any of you have the quality that you can't really get bored? Like boredom doesn't make sense because the organ grinder in your mind is always cranking out its (metaphorical) tunes?

Anyway, glad to meet everyone and I hope you all feel better fast - but as a result of your choices and determination, right?

I think that's right.

Jesus what do I do now?

B

Boring

only one jail visit, eh? that's good improvement

M

MomLeslieM

Wow! At least you now do know what you're dealing with and why and can really get the help you need! Don't forget that OCD has some good points as well - is the new psychiatrist helping you to learn to live with the symptoms and use them somewhat constructively?? Keep making those good choices!!!!

N

NorasDad

Wow! At least you now do know what you're dealing with and why and can really get the help you need! Don't forget that OCD has some good points as well - is the new psychiatrist helping you to learn to live with the symptoms and use them somewhat constructively?? Keep making those good choices!!!!

You are spot on.

The problem is that I don't have a psychiatrist presently whom I see regularly. My health plan only pays for 3 sessions and they have to be "medical" in nature.

I think part of what I'm saying is that I don't know what I'm choosing right now. Do you have any insight as to first steps?

M

MomLeslieM

You are spot on.

The problem is that I don't have a psychiatrist presently whom I see regularly. My health plan only pays for 3 sessions and they have to be "medical" in nature.

I think part of what I'm saying is that I don't know what I'm choosing right now. Do you have any insight as to first steps?
:low:sorry your health plan won't pay for pysch, will they pay for therapy/counseling??? Awareness is always a good first step - write down what you are finding that brings out your OCD tendencies. When you start to feel anxious stop and use the "5 things" approach to see if it helps -- Look around you. Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and one thing you can taste. This can help you to break the thought process and then try to relax your muscles taking deep breaths - it can help for the OCD too when you get "stuck" in a thought or behavior.

See if those help for some first steps!

N

NorasDad

:low:sorry your health plan won't pay for pysch, will they pay for therapy/counseling??? Awareness is always a good first step - write down what you are finding that brings out your OCD tendencies. When you start to feel anxious stop and use the "5 things" approach to see if it helps -- Look around you. Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and one thing you can taste. This can help you to break the thought process and then try to relax your muscles taking deep breaths - it can help for the OCD too when you get "stuck" in a thought or behavior.

See if those help for some first steps!
Got it.

That is definitely helping. Thank you!

What next?

M

MomLeslieM

Got it.

That is definitely helping. Thank you!

What next?
See if you can pinpoint anything that is triggering your anxiety and OCD feelings - keep a note on your phone or old fashioned paper of date/day/time and what happened just before you felt the OCD or anxiety kick in - that may give some insight into why you're feeling like you are.

N

NorasDad

See if you can pinpoint anything that is triggering your anxiety and OCD feelings - keep a note on your phone or old fashioned paper of date/day/time and what happened just before you felt the OCD or anxiety kick in - that may give some insight into why you're feeling like you are.

Excellent.

I'm really benefitting from the STOPP techniques.

Great news! I am feeling better than I have in years. I think it's the drugs, mainly, but also the CBT - and the presence of a forum like this.

M

MomLeslieM

That's AWESOME! I'm so glad that some techniques and strategies are helping and you're beginning to feel better!! KEEP IT UP!

N

NorasDad

That's AWESOME! I'm so glad that some techniques and strategies are helping and you're beginning to feel better!! KEEP IT UP!
I fall behind from time to time. My family situation is very frustrating.

I'm also trying to adjust meds, blah, blah, blah.

C

Clark75

Hi All,

BTW, do any of you have the quality that you can't really get bored? Like boredom doesn't make sense because the organ grinder in your mind is always cranking out its (metaphorical) tunes?

Anyway, glad to meet everyone and I hope you all feel better fast - but as a result of your choices and determination, right?

I think that's right.

Jesus what do I do now?
That totally describes me - I never get bored. I don't even have a job now due to my OCD. I don't understand those people that get a day off and get bored and say they could never retire or be
without a job.

But the main thing is you have a name for your condition. Now you can seek treatment, try different
things, research yourself (I like reading OCD books), and learn what works for you.

N

NorasDad

That totally describes me - I never get bored. I don't even have a job now due to my OCD. I don't understand those people that get a day off and get bored and say they could never retire or be
without a job.

But the main thing is you have a name for your condition. Now you can seek treatment, try different
things, research yourself (I like reading OCD books), and learn what works for you.

That is SO awesome to hear. Thank you. I mean people have said this about me for decades "You know, it's funny, I can't decide if you're always bored or never bored".

Somehow, through YEARS of therapy, nobody ever put this together.

What has worked for you?

I'm so new to this OCD stuff I'm just like a sponge.

M

MomLeslieM

I fall behind from time to time. My family situation is very frustrating.

I'm also trying to adjust meds, blah, blah, blah.
Falling behind on occasion is OK - just pick up and start going forward again! I'll bet you find you're taking more steps forward than backwards!

C

Clark75

What has worked for me? Well, I'm not sure what exactly you are asking? What works for me to pass time, survive, relieve anxiety, what do you mean?

For me it is important to know my own limitations, or at least accept what I am comfortable with and what things make me happy. I know myself better than anyone else does so I try to not let other affect me or think about ways I am different from what is "normal."

N

NorasDad

What has worked for me? Well, I'm not sure what exactly you are asking? What works for me to pass time, survive, relieve anxiety, what do you mean?

For me it is important to know my own limitations, or at least accept what I am comfortable with and what things make me happy. I know myself better than anyone else does so I try to not let other affect me or think about ways I am different from what is "normal."

Basically whatever you want to talk about. I am just a newbie to getting better. I can talk endlessly about the experience of OCD except for the getting better part.