Afraid to take my medicine

C

copynin

I have to go on a medicine called Ciproflaxin (maybe spelled wrong) because my doctor is worried a uti I have is progressing to a Kidney infection. My fear of dying from something like this is greater than medicine but ive read a lot of horror stories about cipro and how it’s way to strong to treat something as simple as a uti (however mine hasnt gone away in months). How can i relax and get through this antibiotic course?

Last edited by a moderator:
HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have to go on a medicine called Ciproflaxin (maybe spelled wrong) because my doctor is worried a uti I have is progressing to a Kidney infection. My fear of dying from something like this is greater than medicine but ive read a lot of horror stories about cipro and how it’s way to strong to treat something as simple as a uti (however mine hasnt gone away in months). How can i relax and get through this antibiotic course?
Can you get a 2nd and 3rd opinion? Maybe there's another, safer option that your doctor hasn't considered. Best of luck to you!

B

BatDuck

Hi copynin, Taking the first step is always the hardest, wheather it be the first tablet of a new medication or getting the courage to ask for help.

I know it's not quite the same but I still haven't touched the meds I was given for anxiety/panic because I am fearful of side effects. So I made a pact with myself, if it gets bad and I can't find a way to distract or calm myself they're getting opened and taken. I'll just keep an eye on myself whilst they're working.

I know you can't really do that with something like antibiotics, but I think you have 2 options.
(A) seek a second opinion, if you can afford to (noticed your in the US), and do so quickly.
(B) take that first pill. Do it whilst you're as relaxed as possible - put some music on, watch a movie, do some art - what ever you find relaxing and distracting. Once you've had the first, the next will be easier.

All antibiotics can make you feel generally unwell as they blast all the bacteria in your body, both bad and good - so make sure you eat something like natural bio yogurt whilst taking them to replace the good stuff.
Let us know how it goes :hug: