• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Afraid to disclose to the government I have schizophrenia

M

Misssad1111

If I go on disability for schizophrenia they will treat me crazy and discredit everything I do. Also my occupation requires a lot of concentration, I’m worried they will pull my license. I want my license and maybe when I’m older and the positive symptoms decrease and the negative symptoms increase I’ll be able to work.
im so so worried about disclosing it to the government.

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

If I go on disability for schizophrenia they will treat me crazy and discredit everything I do. Also my occupation requires a lot of concentration, I’m worried they will pull my license. I want my license and maybe when I’m older and the positive symptoms decrease and the negative symptoms increase I’ll be able to work.
nice umm drink some vegetable juice and excercise this will change your brain chemisty around in a positive mood and try some martials and some good music enjoy yourself.

Evenly Spaced Tiles

Evenly Spaced Tiles

nice umm drink some vegetable juice and excercise this will change your brain chemisty around in a positive mood and try some martials and some good music enjoy yourself.
now thats some advice i'd take, don't think there could be any ill-side-effects with this type of thing

M

Misssad1111

Both responses have nothing to do with my post…

M

Mikey666

If it's on your medical records already, you have to disclose it anyway don't you? So I don't know if claiming disability will make much difference. I assume the government can access our medical records.

Could be wrong, but it is what I have understood to be true.

Mental illness can effect certain things, but these days it is very possible to still hold down jobs and not be blocked from professions because of it. Whatever your licence is for. See if you can look up more info on it. There's a good chance you will be okay.

Evenly Spaced Tiles

Evenly Spaced Tiles

i would disclose it if you no longer want to pay taxes and collect aid. it's really okay... dont think so much

M

Misssad1111

It’s just that I KNOW the exact same thing would happen at my next job. But what if it gets a lil better as I age. I may be up to it

M

Misssad1111

If it's on your medical records already, you have to disclose it anyway don't you? So I don't know if claiming disability will make much difference. I assume the government can access our medical records.

Could be wrong, but it is what I have understood to be true.

Mental illness can effect certain things, but these days it is very possible to still hold down jobs and not be blocked from professions because of it. Whatever your licence is for. See if you can look up more info on it. There's a good chance you will be okay.
As far as I know, no I don’t

Me Myself

Me Myself

What do you mean? Who will know? The government: Social Security will have to know, yes. If that's what you want to get it for. But I am pretty sure they can't dispose that information due to confidentially reasons. I don't think you have to worry about them they are used to getting claims for those with mental illness. If you mean work? What would they be doing asking those questions anyway? I am afraid I may not be quite understanding.

Evenly Spaced Tiles

Evenly Spaced Tiles

did you get diagnosed by a medical professional or are you just reading the traits of schizophrenia online? because when you are diagnosed, it goes on your medical record, but there is also a treated diagnosis also by the professional, so the disability is also not permanent post-treatment to each person for the rest of their lives.

M

Mikey666

As far as I know, no I don’t

Okay, I don't know what license you need. I thought maybe a license to practice in work (hence why I said not being blocked from professions) or a driving license etc. All I know is you need to disclose schizophrenia to the DVLA in the UK for your driving license. Other countries and other licenses I am not sure about. Either way. The government knowing should be no different to having it on your medical records though surely?

M

Mikey666

Also in the UK there have been delays on this. So not sure it has happened yet, but a link to The Guardian article.

Your medical records are about to be given away. As GPs, we’re fighting back | Ameen Kamlana

And opendemocracy

Legal threat sharpens over UK government plans to harvest patient data from GPs

Apparently our info is de identified, but we can be re identified for certain things.

I am going to get the form to opt out of this. And if the government couldn't/didn't access our medical records before, I find it hard to believe they won't do so now with this.

Me Myself

Me Myself

Also in the UK there have been delays on this. So not sure it has happened yet, but a link to The Guardian article.

Your medical records are about to be given away. As GPs, we’re fighting back | Ameen Kamlana

And opendemocracy

Legal threat sharpens over UK government plans to harvest patient data from GPs

Apparently our info is de identified, but we can be re identified for certain things.

I am going to get the form to opt out of this. And if the government couldn't/didn't access our medical records before, I find it hard to believe they won't do so now with this.
This is what you meant? The US had to face this years ago. That mostly to do with your local clinics than SS I think. It's something I had a debate on and I think that is part of the reason why I was jailed for public "rowdiness" Something I was never known for, they just wanted to get me for something. Thats ridiculous anyway I might as well have been a terrorist. In the US it should never have happened, we have confidentiality agreements and I just signed another and I had to roll my eyes inwardly. I even asked them directly once to get confirmation. They confirmed it. Some people can't seem to connect the two.