• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

afraid of slipping back into bad habits: exercise and type 1 diabetes

E

epa

Hello, I have been experiencing disordered eating for about ten years, since the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. With diabetes, I always need to count carbs to adjust insulin doses, so I must always be aware of what I eat.
I was seeing a psychologist focused on type diabetes for about 6 months and she really helped me a lot with perfectionism, doing some kind of CBT and exposure type therapy to certain foods I wouldn´t allow myself to eat and then I had a bit of a setback and stopped going to her.
Luckily, her voice stayed in my head for months and I have been eating much better and healthily these last two months. The biggest hurdle was the stop of all record keeping of blood sugar, exercise and food consumption. I am much more relaxed about everything, but this has always come and go over the years, and I am afraid I am going to fall back into old habits, as those same intrusive thought keep popping into my head.
I would love to start training for a virtual half-marathon, but that means I would have to start keeping track of km run and a lot of my food intake before and during runs, as knowing how food affects my blood sugar is imperative for my safety, especially for long runs.
I am trying not to include any kind of triggering information so I dont really know if this is well explained enough, but after dealing with this disordered eating, will I be able to be take up training to do this again. I really miss running races and having fitness goals. For now, I dont use any fitness apps, I save nothing in my Garmin, I dont know how many km I run, I keep no Excel spreadsheets.
Should I wait longer to try doing this? I have been "normal" since mid-August.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think problems like this will come and go through life, and the important thing is to be kind to yourself.

You could try running for 20 mins per day and not think about distance for now.

E

epa

That is what I am doing now. I run but log nothing. I kind of get the feeling I would fall back into my weird warped mindset if I started training. Even thinking about it makes me start getting obsessive thoughts.

P

Purpleplum

Just my opinion... don't start training. It's focused on everything you need to stop focusing on.