• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Afraid I might not qualify for PIP

J

jenny8022

Hi all, I am new here. I have suffered from paranoid schizophrenia for 15 years although I have been stable for the last 9 years. I am worried about the upcoming pip assessments which will be due around October 2015 . Because I am stable does that mean they will not grant me the benefit? My relatives seem to think I will have no problems getting the pip as I am on an indefinite DLA award. Is there anyone in a similar situation to me able to advise me on this? I take aripiprazole and procyclidine and have no problems with side affects...I know they are keeping me well but worrying about the pip isn't helping my anxiety levels. Thanks for any advice.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i think as long as cannot do some of the daily living or mobility things on the list you should be fine.

SarahD

SarahD

Hello Jenny

Welcome to the forum.

I am also waiting to be changed from DLA to PIP. I am afraid I don't know what the attitude will be. Do you have a psychiatrist or care coordinator? (I know they often discharge you if stable.) some mental health teams have benefit advisers who will help patients even if they have been discharged to GP care.

I suspect that you will need to show that although you are stable now, if you had the stress of being taken off benefits and looking for work you would be liable to become unstable.

Maybe someone else will have better advice. When you do get the forms, I would try to get advice or help with them.

I hope you enjoy the forum and find it helpful.

Best wishes, Sarah

fate_w_g

fate_w_g

Hello jenny8022,

I get PIP; high rate care low rate mobility. I have schizoaffective disorder and had no problem getting awarded PIP.

I am stable but had the help of my CPN, they want to know what it is you can't do due to your illness and how it affects you in your daily life.

I hope this helps you a bit, I'm not a big talker sorry.

If you need more information this is the right forum to be on.

J

jenny8022

Thanks all for your replies. I actually haven't seen my psychiatrist in a while and don't have a CPN. however I was seeing a MH social worker until recently as I had another health issue which directly impacted on my mood....she discharged me a good few months ago....I happened to feel quite paranoid today come to mention it and haven't felt like that in ages....my problems are mainly with concentrating and with my short term memory . I have lost count of the times I let the sink overflow with water whilst filling it..or I let a pan boil dry!! But those accidents would happen on bad days.. I wonder if I should mention them when the time comes to apply?

Last edited:
fate_w_g

fate_w_g

Definitely mention these issues, there are sections that cover them in the form.

The PIP form does lean towards mental health a lot better than the DLA form did.

Because you haven't got a health worker due to being discharged you can get supporting evidence from your GP to help with your claim.

SarahD

SarahD

I think you should mention them, when you are filling in the form you need to think of examples like that to illustrate the problems, it shows them more clearly what problems you have. That is one reason it is best to get advice when filling in the forms, because the advisers know the kind of details up you need to give.

SarahD

SarahD

Also you said those things happen on bad days, then also that it was countless times. Don't downplay the things that happen.

J

jenny8022

Thanks Sarah, I do have a habit of downplaying things. I have never mentioned those accidents to my psychiatrist or GP (due to the fact my shrink made me feel intimidated at the start of my diagnosis) also for fear of being sectioned again. I have an 8 year old boy. Would dread to think what would happen if I became so very unwell again....

SarahD

SarahD

I also think you could ask the MH support worker and your GP and psychiatrist for letters in support. You may have to spell out to them the reasons why it would be hard for you to go back to work. Get them to give you letters, and then you can decide if they are good as evidence and include them with your application. You can ask them for letters even if they are not seeing you still.

fazza

fazza

When it comes to the assesment don't focus on what you can do on a good day. Focus on all the things you can't do on a bad day.

I have schizophrenia too I am on dla waiting for the dreaded letter for conversion to pip. I have always described my worse day and I have never had a problem getting d.l.a

calypso

calypso

Admin
I just looked at the self assessment part of that link Nikita, and I came out with 0 points. It was only one page, but I find that very frightening. Its so limited in its scope. I am worried now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3