Advocates

L

Lilac

I hope I am not saying the wrong thing but I seem to be in the minority in wanting to leave mental health services and in disputing having a mental illness.

The advocates seem unsupportive and unhelpful and obviously want people other than themselves to be sectioned.

I tried searching on here for posts about advocates but nothing obvious came forth.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

i stopped bothering with mental health services, they don't help me.:hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
a right to advocacy was writtten into the mental health act for in patients my health authority has met it's legal obligations by employing volunteers most of which are incompetent

i'm not impressed by advocates with lived experience either

i feel i need someone whose mental health isn't under question to represent me, someone who can hold officials accountable, at the moment i haven't one advocate

the same people who are responsible for services, and have cut them, are responsible for advocacy services and have cut them as well

my experience when there were advocates was they'd ask the council worker politely but they weren't likely to kick ass and bite the hand that feeds them

J

Jules5

Here on the States side (USA) mental health persons are unserved. Not enough places to help the poorer of us all. I did stumble upon a good service for mental health and now going through the beginining stages of the process.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
had a good advocate, well at least they tried before getting tired of me, i have to wait 2 hrs after turning up at the appt time at my gps surgery, this advocate said to the gp it should be put on my notes i should be seen immediately gp says that would be labelling him, i said one more label won't make any difference gp said see what i mean

the advocate wrote to the surgery manager as well that expecting someone with severe social anxiety to wait an hour in a crowded surgery is rediculous

waited 2 hrs last time despite making a appt 4 weeks in advance and asking for the first in the afternoon

thinking of changing my surgery but i've had problems in the past with benefits when no one really knows me for benefit reference purposes