• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

advocacy taken over by mencap

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my local advocacy service all the disability advocacy services in brent are undere one group now headed by mencap

It concerns me, mencap has always been numero 1 org in brent due to this mencap carer high up, when i used to go to the disability centre, now closed, the language about me was cognitive impairment, i don't think they even realised they were doing it, anyway i like to think cognitive impairment isn't the major issue, and if thats used as a measure of disability i could have problems

Phoned up got receptionist who then gets them to phone you backm easier for carers of which mencap has a lot

i thought the right of in patients to advocacy was enshrined in law under the last mental health act and as this org was providing that it'd be safe from cuts

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i just felt the person answering the phone was some mencap volunteer, i don't feel like talking to one about mental illness and independent living issues she as a carer can;t relate to, but without arguing my case i'm not going to get that phone call, they never phoned back

porkpie

porkpie

Would somebody with a mental illness be eligible for support from a learning disability charity?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Would somebody with a mental illness be eligible for support from a learning disability charity?
i

it's officially disability advocacy but is been provided under the umbrella of mencap

Remember many years ago when i was been harrassed this lawyer i contacted said contact mencap i did and said it's a similar thing these mencap carers who'd answered the phone were most indignant

It's just one more concern officially i've got a support worker but hardly see him, spoke to him last week and he said he was busy dealing with a client who'd been made homeless and i should be grateful my housing assoc isn't likely to do that, yes but if the neighbour from hell moves in below they're equally not likely to evict him

I sometimes think it'd be better if i didn't have a support worker and in the event of some incident a jury of my peers took that into account

C

Chamaeleon

No. Also they support disability but not equality. They only support those with disabilities.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
mental illnesss is a disability,

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
schitzoprenia is a disability, i've got a card somewhere saying i'm registered disabled under the chronically sick and disabled persons act, much good it does me

If your going round arguing you haven't an illness or if you prefer a disability, off course with limited resources they'll use that as an excuse to leave you

C

Chamaeleon

yes but mencap is more for like learning disabilities, not for schitzoprenia.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i agree thats why it's unfortunate that disability advocacy in brent is under the umbrella of mencap, phoned up got some volunteer type receptionist, don't really feel like explaining my situation to some carer type who doesn't understand so called independent living off course some mencap carer will be quite happy to talk to another carer about johnny, it's not an issue to them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Services 17