advice

S

saint

Hi, I spoke on this forum a while back.
After going to my gp she has prescribed trazodone for my seeping problems (which has not really helped). My heart and blood are ok (which I had a phobia about and now i'm relieved, although I still have it during the day on and off)

Anyway now she wants me to see a councilor.... what is this exactly and in what ways can this councilor help what my gp cant do?

Will I get the appropriate help from this councilor?

Any feed back will be great :)

M

Meow

hey :)
your gp can only advice you and prescribe you drugs

however a counciller can teach you cbt
also they will beable to show you the signs of new "obsessions"
so you can stop them early
as well as educating you on ocd

N

NrLondonGuy

sorry but feel I shoudl intervene here. Unless you meat 'therpaist' but I have never heard a councilor to be used to treat OCD. What you need is a CBT (Cognative behavioural therapy) therpist who is trained in using CBT ERP for OCD. I councilor does not treat OCD. They may help with other talking issues you need help with but please make sure you only get the OCD treated by a qualified CBT therpist who is qualfied and experienced in treating OCD. Sounds like your GP doesnot have a clue. It may be she has referred you to the correct person and you are just incorrectly using word councolor instead of therpist. DO find out for your own sake.

Please have a look at the following website as it will help you know what help you shoudl get and can help inform your GP if he/she does not know how OCD shoudl be treated.

http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/

They have a support line which I woudl advice you call for advice if you are seeing a councilor as if you are you have been sent in wrong direction unless the councilor is also a CBT therpist.

Unfortunaltey as also happened to me many GP and mental health professioanls do not know how OCD is meant to get treated and refer us to the wrong places. Do look at website. It will tell you everything you need to know about appropriate treatment for OCD.

N

NrLondonGuy

quick link for you

http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/support-info/treatments/

"Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) is the only recommended psychological treatment for OCD." taken from their website - no mention of counciling anywhere. unfortunatley many councilor and pychoanalysts and teh like who although they can help enoumously with other problems do not know anything about OCD and do not refer their patients to properly trained CBT therpists for the 'correct' treatment fro OCD. Instead they think 'oh I had a success rate with other problems - I think I'll give this OCD thing a go' using their techniques which ARE NOT proven to help with OCD. In fact the wrong treatment can be more harmful then no treatment as happened with me. OCD SHOULD ONLY be treatmed by a qualified, experienced CBT therpist who is trained in treating OCD using exposure and responce prevention.

It pisses me off beyong belidef why these poeple (and your GP) can't read a few simple facts about OCD which are now available everywhere (NHS websites, OCD charities) about the illness and get poeple the correct treatment they f'ing need.

N

NrLondonGuy

btw - you posted in an OCD forum so making assumption here you feel you have OCD symptoms as you did not mention any of them.

N

NrLondonGuy

just in case you are beig referred to right place - don't want to interfere with that. There are counciling pychologists and some of these are CBT therpists also and treat OCD. Is taht where you are going. Is sounds like right place.

S

saint

Thanks for the replies...

I dont know exactly my gp just said she would give me a referral to a councillor.

She said she couldnt find any other causes of my anxiety, so after I told her when I had my old cooker I would check the knob 20 times a day sometimes getting up during the night and being late for work, sometimes walking away then going back and checking the cooker coz in my mind the picture of leaving gas on stays...... on the bus to work I would get anxiety if I saw a bag outside (i think im going to find a bag full of money) so I would get off and check the bag only to find the bag was empty and im late for work.... i cant touch things with only one hand... from the age of ten I would count to eleven when i drank... I can be kept awake for days coz of music/people talking in my head.... washing hands numerous times.... over checking things.... at work i once nearly cut my finger off coz i needed to touch the knife with my other hand without realizing.... oh i sometimes think my heart is gonna explode which give me a panic attack....
theres many many other things i cant be bothered to type as well as thinking i might be bipoler.....

anyway i just explained the cooker thing/checking windows/doors/thinking my mother is gonna fall down the stairs/sometimes feeling the need to pray or else my mother will die/washing hands and said she would give me a referral to a councillar.... whether she thinks its ocd i dont know...

thanks..

N

NrLondonGuy

Hi

Having had many of those same symptoms from a sufferer and without offerign a 'diagnosis' I woudl say say sounds like OCD to me. (I know 100% it is as I had many of same symptoms). Just to make sure you get right help have a look at the website links above - they are generic - everyones specific OCD is unique. Ask your GP if the councilor is a trained OCD CBT therpists. SOUnds like you GP does not have a clue.

Print the following off and give to your GP. You can call the OCD charity on 0845 390 6232. They can send info to you and your GP to make sure you get correct treatment. You will find them very helpful. Unfortunatley many GPs don;t know about OCD.

http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/files/2010/03/GP-Card-v04.pdf

Sounds like there may be others issues there too but you definatley have OCD themes there so you shoud make sure you get right help for that.

S

saint

"SOUnds like you GP does not have a clue."
Thats scary :eek:

Thanks will check that website

Yeah the problem is after reading I pretty much "know" I have ocd. I just think it will be hard to change since i've had problems since I was 10 only realizing now at 22.... went through kind of a depression when I was 17-18 and actually thought of hanging myself a number of times.... i'm glad I finally went to the gp though, better late than never I guess...

will try and discuss things properly and I appreciate both ur concerns and information.....thanks.:)

N

NrLondonGuy

don't worry too much abotu never getting better - thats a common theme of OCD sufferers before teratment but there are many success stories of people who had it all their lives and got better.

C

Contramike

Great websites, NrLondonGuy.

Hi, saint.

A good litmus test for this is to see if you recognize that what you're doing (the over-thinking, compulsions) is pointless and not necessary. That's the genuine OCD litmus test.

I'm seeing something here that is often looked over by doctors in the discription of your symptoms.

There is a type of OCD called "Pure"-OCD that explains a lot of your symptoms.

"...thinking my mother is gonna fall down the stairs/sometimes feeling the need to pray or else my mother will die..."

Are those specific thoughts reccuring? Do you feel like you spend a lot of time praying, or just -thinking- when you feel your mother might die if you don't - Or maybe just thinking to stop thinking? Maybe trying to find just the right thought that will stop your anxiety?

These are symptoms of Pure-OCD. It's a newly classified type of OCD that is, littlerelay, the worst type of OCD you could have.

Have a look at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purely_Obsessional_OCD

As much as I hate to use Wikipedia for reference, it has the best overall description and information than any other website I've looked at concerning Pure-OCD.

N

NrLondonGuy

Just to add some debate as 'pure OCD' was discussed in my OCD group recently.

Its hard to sya if something is 'purely obsessional' there can be those thoughts but if you take the view that compulsions can be 'mental acts' then its not pure OCD. For example if you neatralise an obsession with another thoughts such as thinking something 'good' or counting then those are teh mental compulsions and its not just obsessions then. Poeple can though just have obsessions with no physical or mentla compulsions and also have compulsions with no obsessions so such a concept does exist.

Having to pray otherwise this your mother will die very much sounds like a netralising compulsion to me though. The obsessional thoguht is your mother will die and the praying is a physical (and mental) compulsions (putting your hands togethr taking time out, saying stuff) so I woudln't say thats just an obsession.

N

NrLondonGuy

Just a friednly debate and my views only but I wouldn't say pure OCD is teh worst type of OCD you can have as I do have just obsesisonal thoughts but I find the compulsions the real killer. Seems like heaven if you coudl just have teh thoguths with no compulsions. Havn't read much about concepts of pure-OCD but just my thoughts related to my own OCD struggle.

S

saint

Sorry I missed comments.
Are those specific thoughts reccuring? Do you feel like you spend a lot of time praying, or just -thinking- when you feel your mother might die if you don't - Or maybe just thinking to stop thinking? Maybe trying to find just the right thought that will stop your anxiety?
Yes that's just one thing as an example. It could be about anything, if i hear of a relative who's sick or even if I see people on tv i like who are hurt i need to pray or else something bad will happen. If that's what you mean?

I also have compultions (counting/checking/praying/washing etc) also have pictures of accidents happening then my body will jump. Images of death etc etc. Repeating words songs counting all day long untill i get a headache and go out of breath. I have no job now havnt been out of the house barely in 5 month, so yes its pretty bad. Can't even pluck up the courage to go back to my gp because I keep thinking she want to get me out of there and only thinks im looking for an excuse to stay of work and get drugs. pretty sad isnt it.

Oh well sorry if i diddnt answer properly, thanks.

S

saint

And the main problem is i can't even be honest with myself. Unless i really needed to i havnt been out of the house properly in years. probably have got something wrong, just too scared too face gp.

Thanks alot for your comments :)