• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Advice

B

blarney

Hello,

I´ve lately been experiencing occasional violent thoughts that appear in my mind out of nowhere. For example I´ll imagine a friend of mine or someone I love very much being hurt or attacked. I don´t desire these thoughts... in fact, they horrify and disgust me. But I can´t seem to make them go away. The odd thing is, I feel very sane in all other respects. I am a postgraduate student in a committed relationship. I´m physically fit and have a lot of friends and a supportive family. I´m generally a funny, likeable person who is troubled by things like poverty and violence. In fact, I can barely got through "Slumdog Millionaire". So I don´t think I´m psychotic .. from what I´ve read, that would mean I have a lack of empathy with others.

So much in my life seems fine, which is why I can´t understand these thoughts. I think sometimes I may just ahve an overactive imagination ' and it´s not like I have these thoughts all the time. I´m usually able to control them by saying "STOP" to myself. But all they same, the thoughts are there.

I´d value any suggestions.

D

Dollit

Those thoughts are so frequent in people they can be considered just about normal. I don't know a single person who hasn't had those sort of thoughts at one time or another. I was discussing this with a friend who's a GP with psychiatric experience recently and he's had them. We waxed lyrical on the subject for a long time as we'd been discussion how complex and intricate the brain is and while it's sophisticated it's also a bit stupid. Anyway the conversation turned to these type of thoughts and it's almost as though you're preparing yourself when things do go wrong. I wouldn't worry about it, I certainly don't worry about those sort of thoughts. What is reality and what is part of an "extended" imagination bear little resemblance to one another.